16

It'd only been a week without Spider-Punk, in that week the city was quickly turning to ruin. People had gotten so used to the hero that without him things escalate rather quickly.
You couldn't deny that you missed him, along with most citizens. He'd finally revealed himself to you and then he left.
Without the hero around you always had to be extra careful, instead of getting a taxi or walking to work you would always travel with Janice.
Even when the world went mad, she was one of the people you could rely on.

As much as you missed the hero, you were also filled with a sense of hope and excitement for when he returned. Maybe you could get closer when he came back, the very thought made your heart flutter.
You couldn't wait for his return, with a week having passed you knew he'd be back soon.

Arriving at work with Janice the two of you part ways settling at your desks. Another downside to Hobie being gone was your stories were suffering, the most recent piece was about the rapidly increasing crime rate. It may not have been what people wanted to hear, but that's what they needed to know.
Racking your brain for any ideas the sudden crack of newspaper on your desk startled you out of your train of thought.

"What do you call this Y/N?", your boss asked referring to your article in the paper. His eyes were practically glowing with anger, he looked angry enough to have steam come out his ears.

"Well with the sudden disappearance of Spiderman-"

"I read that. Did you not consider that this would start a panic?!", he cut you off his voice raising to a yell.

"I understand that, maybe people should be panicking", you responded feeling worry build in your chest as he became slightly more aggressive.

"That's not your job! Your job is to write lighthearted funny pieces about this superhero! Not create mass panic", he added slamming a hand down on your desk causing you to flinch.
"I want a piece to bring ease back to the population by the end of the day!", he concluded before storming back to his office.
The entire building was silent. Not even the click of keyboard could be heard, you felt the eyes of everyone in the office on you as you turned yourself back to your work. You felt tears in you eyes threatening to fall, but you forced them back.

Putting all your attention into your work, you didn't notice Janice standing at your side.

"Y/N!", they suddenly called snapping you from a daze.
"You ok?", they asked placing a hand on your shoulder their eyes filled with worry.

"I'm fine", you replied quickly, trying to get back to your work it became clear Janice wasn't going to leave you alone.

"Let's go to lunch, clear your head a bit", she offered. It was quite clear she wasn't taking no for an answer.

As the two of you walked to your usual place Janice went on and on about how much of an asshole your boss was. She was trying to cheer you up, but you couldn't get past how aggressive he was.

As you passed the bank you told Janice you had to make a quick stop, so you could pay for lunch.

"I'll meet you there in a minute", you reassured sending Janice to the cafe a few minutes away.
Stepping into the building it was usually quiet around this time as most people were off on lunch break.

It wasn't long before you noticed two more people enter the building... both wearing masks. You felt your heart drop when the gun was fired signalling any remaining people in the building to get down.
They began yelling orders one going out the back to collect the money whilst the other made sure no one tried to escape.

Your heart was racing as the masked person walked around the room. Keeping your eyes to the floor you avoided making eye contact. You could hear people crying, some were pleading to be let go, but they were paid no mind. Was this actually happening? Criminals were getting more bold and this was the result of an absent hero. Your tried to block out the aggressive shouting, the threats to shoot, but you had very little success.

For a moment there was a break in the aggression, people had seemed to be accepting there wasn't a way out. But you couldn't give up, not like this. You weren't going to die at the hands of some bank robber.
There was a clear break for the door... you could make it. Shooting a glance at the man wandering the room, he wasn't facing your way and was far enough away from you. Thinking for a moment, you concluded you didn't have long. This could be your only chance. With no time to waste, you Quickly stood from your position. Trying to be as quiet as possible you ran for the door, only to met with a gunshot and excruciating pain in your back. You'd been shot. You could feel the warm blood trickling down your back, but you couldn't stop now. Continuing to try and flee the pain only worsened, before you were shot once more, this one sending you to the ground.
The cold tile beneath your skin only made the pain worse. The door only lay a short distance away almost taunting you.
The masked killer began shouting once more but their words were muffled. This was how you were going to die.
Your entire body ached, but at the same time so did your heart. He promised.
He promised he'd be there if you needed him. Your heart ached at the thought that he was truly gone. If he ever came back, you would be gone. Feeling the blood pool around your dying self, you knew this was your end.
As the world grew quieter and quieter, you felt tired. Like you'd never had before. You were dying and you knew it. As you vision became blurred the last thing you saw was a flash of red before the world went dark.