41

"How was it?", you greeted Hobie, but the moment he took off his mask and you saw his facial expression you knew it wasn't good.

"He disappeared again", he replied flopping on the couch, his face was bruised in places as if he had taken quite a beating.

"Do those hurt?", you asked lightly touching one of the bruises, causing Hobie to flinch giving you your answer.
Leaving him for a moment you grabbed an ice pack from the kitchen bringing it back to him.

You gently placed the cold object on his face, at first he tensed at the coldness but quickly got used to it.

"One more thing Y/N", you knelt at his side making eye contact with him as he placed his hand on top of yours.

"Why'd you deliberately go against what I asked of you", his voice was so calm but his aura was radiating anger.

"What are you talking about?"

"Y/N you can't lie your way out of this one I saw Janice's car and then I saw you", he continued his tone beginning to reflect his anger a little more now. His grip on your hand tightened slightly.

"I was only there for a second-"

"THATS ALL IT WOULD TAKE Y/N!", His sudden aggression caught you of guard as you ripped your hand away from his grasp. He stood from his position walking away from you for a moment. Standing from your position you couldnt help but feel a little scared.

Your heart was pounding in your chest he'd never blown up at you like this.
"You can't keep me here, you said yourself a few days ago I had to get out more", you defended your voice barely above a whisper.

"You can go wherever, whenever you want. But if Spot is in this universe I need you to stay here", he continued his voice lowering back to its original level.

"Hobie you don't understand. My job is centred around that right now", you voice was shaking as you told him. You were terrified of how he would react... You were terrified... of him?

"No. You don't get it Y/N there are things more important than your job", he argued his voice low still with tones of anger.

"And what is this Hobie?! What is so important? What aren't you telling me?", you felt anger rise in your voice though you tried to push it back there was little success.

He didn't answer... of course.

"If you can't give me a reason. I'm going to keep doing my job"

"I can't let you do that Y/N", he continued his voice now mournful, his back still turned to you.

"And why not?! What aren't you telling me Hobie? Cause everyone I've met at that spider HQ has looked at me like I'm some pitiful pet", you argued thinking back to all the looks.

"because one day I won't be able to save you Y/N", he finally admitted

"And why would I need saving?", you continued finally stepping in front of him forcing him to look at you. His face was pained, as he kept his eyes away from yours.

"Because its my canon event Y/N", those words made your blood run cold.

"There'll be a day with spot, where I can't save you... and I'll have to watch you die", everything was falling into place. The looks. Gwen hinting you. It was all making sense. They knew... they all knew.

"How long have you known?"

"Y/N..."

"How long have you known Hobie?!", you struggled to keep your voice level as it threatened to shake at every word.

"... Ever since I left", his words stunned you.

He'd known for months. He knew and he never thought to let you in, he tried to protect you without telling you what he was protecting you from.

"I'm sorry Y/N", but his words sounded like he was underwater. You were going to die and there was nothing you could do about it.
If he had told you earlier, you could've lived your life to the fullest. But with your death potentially right around the corner there was no time left to truly live.

"Y/N?", his sudden touch pulled you back to reality, his hand on your cheek wiping away the numb tears that fell.
"Not all hope is lost. There's still a chance it could change. It's changed before", he tried to reassure you but you weren't buying it.

Although Hobie tried to calm you he knew himself that all roads would lead to your demise. Each time his canon event changed it was only you dying in a different way.

You didn't know what to do. When Hobie disappeared you nearly died. Now he's reappeared you know you're going to die. Its as if no matter what you do, it all ends with your premature death. You weren't going to grow old with Hobie... you weren't going to grow old at all.

"We'll work something out Y/N", he continued trying to calm you but there was no point.
You weren't sure what hurt more. Knowing you were going to die. Or him not telling you.

"We? Hobie you hid this for months. It's quite clear you work alone", you replied.
You'd been "together" for months he said he loved you. Yet he couldn't call you his girlfriend. He couldn't tell you that you were going to die.

You weren't sure what you were going to do, the only thing you knew for certain was you couldn't stay here. As much as you wanted to love Hobie you just couldn't not in this moment.

You trusted him.

"I couldn't tell you Y/N"

"Then why tell me now? What changed?", it was clear that he was purposefully keeping that from you, so why would he tell you now? If there was a reason for him not telling you, why could he suddenly tell you now?

There was a clear hesitation before he replied.
"Because I still wanted you to leave and forget about me", he finally admitted.

This was your cue to leave. If he never really wanted to be with you what was the point. What was the point of any of this? Was he really just leading you on for months? That explains why he never made things official. He didn't want to be official. 

"Then why didn't you say anything sooner? Why did you just lead me on this entire time?!" Fighting back the tears you returned to bedroom to pack your stuff up once more. You weren't sure where you were going to go but anywhere was better than here.