chapter 4

As I wake up, I find Dakshith sitting right next to me, and I feel confused.

 He notices my confusion as I ask him, "What are you doing here?" with my half-opened eyes.

 "So you're up?" he says as he puts the book aside that he was reading.

 "Yes, I am," I say, "but why are you here, next to me?"

 "It's too chilly in front of the air conditioner, so I sat here," he explains. 

 "But you could have sat somewhere else," I suggest.

 "I saw you whispering in your sleep. I came to hear that," he says with a smile.

 I am surprised and ask, "I talk to myself even in my sleep?"

 "You called me an ass, a smart one," he laughs.

 He gives me a genuine smile that makes me feel comfortable. 

His smile seems like a soothing ray of Sunshine trying to wake you up in the morning, that stings your eyes but feels majestic.

  I feel an unusual warmth from his body as his arms brush against mine. Even in the hot month of July, his warmth makes me feel good. 

 "What were you reading?" I ask him, trying to change the subject. 

 He lifts the book to show me the title, 'Sapiens.' 

 "Is it a book about how monkeys turned into humans?" I chuckle. 

 "Yeah, you could say that," he says with a smile. 

 Though I know he is a rude brat but I still feel curious to know why he was picking a fight with Aakash this morning, a part of me says he genuinely was concerned about me and did that to protect me.

I ask him, "Why were you picking a fight with Aakash earlier?"

 "Who's Aakash?" he asks. 

 "The guy who threw your bag earlier this morning," I explain. 

 "Nobody messes with my things, and he threw my bag at you. That pissed me off," he says.

 "I thought you were concerned about me," I say, trying to lighten the mood.

 "Why would I be concerned about you? You're so short that the bag could have easily tossed over your head anyway," he jokes. 

 "You're so mean. I'm sure no girl would ever date you," 

I say, trying to mimic him.His face stiffens, but he doesn't react violently, and instead, changes the topic. 

"I'm opting for medicine."

 "Whoa, so you want to become a doctor?" I ask with surprise.

 "Yes, but my dad wants me to take care of his business after I graduate," he says.

 "Are you interested in it?" I ask. 

 "Not really, it's not my type," he admits.

 "So you think becoming a doctor is your type? You'll look funny with a white coat and a stethoscope hanging around your neck all the time"  I tease him.

"You're speaking way too much, aren't you?" he says while raising his left eyebrow. 

 Oh yes, i should be careful and control myself, i can get punched any moment now.

Suddenly, the bell rings, and Anjali comes running towards us. 

She pauses when she sees Dakshith next to me and wonders if she should leave. 

But I join her and say, "No, wait for me. I'm coming with you," while trying to get up. 

However, Dakshith's hand on my shoulder stops me.

 He looks at me with a stern expression, which makes me feel uneasy.

 But then he breaks the silence and says, "Can I join you guys?"I feel relieved and say, "Sure, let's go."

As we walk towards the class, I wonder what Dakshith is thinking about me. Maybe it's time for me to re-evaluate my feelings.