A Big Mistake [1]

Amina's POV:

"Ms.Simiyu?"

"Come in" I groaned, not bothering to lift my head off my desk. I was so tired. I loved the amount of clients and cases I was getting but it's hard becoming so busy overnight. Just a year ago I was playing rock paper scissors with my coworkers to see who got the case and now I'm a Partner of one of the leading law firms here in Washington.

"Ms.Simiyu"

"Yes."

"You have another client. He says that your last client ran into his time"

"I'm on my lunch break"

"He says it's an emergency." I looked at my assistant. She was new so I'm sure she didn't know that he was my husband.

"You can send him up." She nodded, putting a vase of red flowers on my desk before leaving.

"Come in" I smiled when I heard three knocks.

"Hi baby"

"Baby?" I looked up at a man that definitely was not my husband. I got off my desk and buttoned my shirt. I began looking through my notebook to check for his name and offense.

"Umm. . .Mr. . . What's your name, sir?"

He scoffed, making me look up.

"Is something wrong?"

"You're the prestigious lawyer everyone is going on about? I find it pretty clear how you got your name on the door."

"I mean, getting admitted to the Supreme Court is no easy feat. So I'm not sure what you're getting at. Most people don't know the real process of becoming a high-stakes lawyer, like myself."

"You know what I mean."

"I don't think I do. I'm sure you're implying that I was doing sexual favors to get where I am and that is not the case. Now what is your name so I can have a look and see if I'd like to defend you."

"You're going to defend me"

"That's if you can afford me. We'll see Come our second consultation Mr. . .Moreira"

"I don't like you, you stuck-up little bitch."

"Yet here you are. In my office wanting me to defend you. Let's have a look. Sit down"

I read over his file to see what he was being accused of.

"Hmm, So I'm assuming you like to beat on your wife. . .in front of your child. That would explain the domestic abuse and child endangerment. I think I'll pass."

"Get your head out of your ass for one minute. Please"

"So now you know the word, please. First of all, why would I defend you and get you off Scott free? So that you could do it again? Then you beat your woman to death and your child is left traumatized and becomes property of the state. Is that what you want?" I've already seen it happen. That's why I refused to help clients with certain crimes.

"No. I love my wife and I love my kid. If you don't get me off, I'll get deported. If I get deported I'll be in jail for life and my wife and kids will still be stuck alone."

"What happened the day of the assault?"

"I didn't take my medication. She was pissing me off and I snapped. I've never hit her before and I won't do It again. I just lost it.  I'm human.  I got overwhelmed."

"Sounds like the average statement from an abusive person."

"Fuck off"

"You first and close my door behind you."

"Listen, I need you to do this for me"

"I think I'll pass" My conscience was something I didn't take into consideration when I began taking these cases.

If anything were to happen to that woman or baby, I wouldn't be able to sleep knowing that I got him off and sent him home and he did it again.

"Helloo" he waved his hand in front of my face.

"Back up. I said no. I'm not defending you.”

“Please. I'll. . .” He spoke quietly as she walked him out. 

“I'll think about it” She closed the door behind him.  That didn't sound too bad.