Emergency Placement

Amina's POV:

"Ms.Simiyu?"

"Speaking"

"I was wondering if you're home, someone's outside to talk to you"

"I'm at the firm. I'll come straight home now." I placed my phone between my ear and shoulder as I stood up packing my things.

"Okay, how long do you think it would take?"

"Twenty minutes?"

"Okay, they'll talk to you then"

"Thank you" I hung up and dropped my phone in my bag.

"I'm so sorry, family emergency, can we reschedule?"

"This is really important Ms.Simiyu"

"I know. I will take your case"

"You will?"

"Yes. I will. If anything I will contact you but if not we will meet next week. But I have to get home." I stood by the door waiting for her to leave my office.

"Thank you so much. It means a lot to me. . . " I nodded and smiled. I took so much pride in my work and handled every case with care but since that call, I've had something else on mind.

Once I locked my office door I ran to the elevator. I had to get home.

-

"Oh my god!! Hi. Come in" I got out of my car and rushed up the steps to my house. There was a child with the social worker.

"Can I offer you something warm to drink, it's quite cold out"

"No, this won't be long. Is your husband home?"

"No, not yet."

"Should I wait for him?"

"No. No. Is he here with us?" I smiled watching the shy little boy hide behind the woman.

"Yes. Emergency placement. Until his father's trial is over and we can find a family member to put him with."

"Thank you, thank you so much." Jamie and I became foster parents a year or two ago and for some reason no children were placed with us. Today this changes.

"I'll be checking in often"

"Okay. What's his name?"

"João"

"Does he speak english?"

"I don't know. Mom and dad are Brazilian, they speak Portuguese, dad also speaks English but I'm not sure about João. He's quiet." I heard her but wasn't paying her any mind.

"João" I sat on the floor trying to get his attention.

He hugged the woman's legs. I walked over to the small space under the steps grabbing a plushie.

"Look João" I waved the shark plushie trying to get his attention. Which it did. He slowly began to walk over to me, reaching out for the toy. I gave it to him and he sat down playing with it.

"Okay, well I've got to get going"

"Have a good day"

"Come baby." He handed the toy out to me.

"Come here please" he just stared at me.

"Venha aqui" he crawled over to me and sat in my lap.

"Qual é o teu nome?"

"Mmm João"

"Muito bom" he smiled.

"Quantos anos você tem?"

"Mmm. . .quatro"

"Excelente bebê"

"You brazil?"

"No, I'm not from Brazil. I'm from Kenya. Do you speak English, João?"

"Um pouco."

"Okay well I don't speak Portuguese that well. I only know a little bit. Can you speak some English with me?"

"Yes"

"Wow, look at you. Already speaking two languages. That's really impressive bubba."

Disclaimer:

-I don't speak portugese so I'm using the internet ☠️

-Also, I don't know much about foster care and all that stuff so I don't know how accurate this is. Let's just go with it. Please.