Aftermath [2]

“Mama. I'm finished!” Although Jamie did a good seventy-five percent of the work, he was finished at 11:45.

“What are you so happy about?”

“I'm finished, see.”

“Okay, you're not getting your stuff back.” João's smile fell.

“But. . . You said. . . You said that I'm on punishment until I get my grades up. They're up.”

“Let's see. You haven't done any chores lately. Your room is a mess. How many times have you broken curfew in the last month? You're not getting that game back anytime soon.” João waited for her to finish and walked out.

“I want you to slam my door.” She warned, and he closed it slowly before kicking the stairs railing out of anger. Obviously, he hurt himself more than it, but he didn't feel it right away.

“I wanna live with my daddy!” He mumbled to himself.

“What was that? Are you okay?” London came out of her room when she heard the loud thud.

“Kick something else, João. Slam another door and watch what I'm going to do to you.”

“I want to go home”

“Bye, go home. And don't call me when your dad calls you a name or hits you. Maybe I should've let him a few times, you'd have more respect.”

“Amina. That was way too far.” London shook her head. She knew it was only a matter of time until she said some hurtful shit.

“You did let him! Many times, and then you acted like you didn't know. I told you so many times, and you told me you would protect me and you didn't do shit! I bet if it was Samira or Amir, you would've done something about it. You're just as bad as him. I hate the person you are right now.” He teared up after holding everything in for so long.

“You hurt me more than he ever could because I expected more from you. You mean so much more to me, and when you treat me like shit it hurts me. You have no idea what I've been through. No fucking idea! I'm a person! I trusted you and all those promises you made to me you lied. You told me you'd never hurt me, or let anyone replace me. You told me I'd be happy and that I'll have a family now. I have nobody! You say such hurtful things to everyone in here and no one did anything to you. You need to yell at dad and curse him out. He did it. Not us, well not me. You call me sensitive but if the person you love the most said those things to you, you'd be crying too.”

“I tried, João.” Amina's heart felt heavy hearing João vent.

“No you didnt. Not hard enough. I'm leaving.”

“You're not going anywhere.”

“You don't own me. I'm seventeen, I'll leave if I want to.”

“you know what. You ungrateful little brat. Get out. And don't come back.”

“I won't! I hate it here!”

“don't go running to my mother's house. You're so grown right? Figure it out. Don't take anything I bought you out of my house. Get out.”

“don't touch me” He pushed her off when she tried to grab him. She pushed him to the door and he pushed her back. He wasn't thinking, but still felt bad when she fell.

“I'm sorry.”

“get out.” She sounded so defeated and hurt. But he was too. Why were her feelings more important than his? He limped out, his foot severely bruised, if not fractured.

“What did you do!?” Samira went after João, not wanting him to leave.

“Please, please. Don't leave João. Please.”