Halloween

"Ms Smith"

"One second, Lovebug" João's teacher shushed him as she packed another student up and sent them with their parents.

"Ms. Smith" he called again trying to show her Jamie who was standing there patiently.

"Mommy isn't here yet, João. Please wait quietly."

"But, My dada. . ." He pointed at Jamie. The woman ignored him once again so he ran off the line to Jamie.

"Dada!!" Jamie picked João up hugging him and kissing his cheek.

"How was school, Bubba?"

"Good. My teacher didn't want to let me come to you because you're not mommy"

"João, you're not supposed to run off you know better. Please come back and wait to be signed out."

"I'm his dad, I can sign him out."

"I'd rather him do it the right way" Jamie nodded understandingly and put João down making him whine.

"Ascolta il tuo maestro, Mimmo" João's shoulders dropped as he got back on the line.

"Can I sign him out now?" The woman nodded, handing Jamie the clipboard and pen.

"João, dad's here"

"Can I have a pumpkin?" João walked to the front of the line seeing all his classmates leave with one.

"No, because you keep running off when you're not supposed to."

". . . Please?" The woman shook her head making João ask again.

"Please, Ms.Smith. I want a pumpkin" When she told him no he began to cry running to Jamie.

"It's okay, Mimmo. Daddy will get you a pumpkin. Those are tiny anyway." Jamie carried João to the car, trying to console him as he did.

"Can we get one for Mama and my new sissy too?" He asked once he calmed down.

"Yes, everyone will get a pumpkin when we go pumpkin picking"

"What's that?"

"Remember we went apple picking and we picked out all the apples with mommy?"

"Yes"

"It's the same thing but with pumpkins."

"When do we go, dada?"

"Tomorrow"

"Awww" he pouted

"Tomorrow morning. You know mommy doesn't like to go anywhere late. We'll go in the morning, carve our pumpkins later, and watch some Halloween movies. Then on Sunday we'll go trick or treating with Alessio, Uncle Tony, and Auntie London, sound good?"

"Uh-huh. When is Halloween?"

"Monday"

"So can I wear my costume to school"

" I'm not sure. But I'll let you and if they say no we'll change into our uniform, deal?"

"Deal" João smiled and nodded deviously.

-

"Mommy!!"

"Hey baby" João ran over to Amina jumping in her lap, well trying to.

"Wait a minute" She put Samira down beside her and opened her arms for João.

"How was school bubba?"

"Ms. Smith didn't give me a pumpkin." He leaned on her.

"We're going to get our own pumpkins, why didn't Ms.Smith give you a pumpkin?"