Guns

"What color is this?" Amina held up a blue flashcard.

he shrugged.

"What is this?" Jamie held up an assault rifle.

"M16A4"

"How do you even know all of this, bubba? I'm not even surprised that he can name more guns than colors. Look at where we are." Amina sighed.

"Look" Jamie unloaded his glock before setting it in front of João. He picked it up, aiming it at Amina.

"Pew Pew." He mumbled to himself making Amina flinch despite seeing Jamie unload the gun.

"No, No João! You don't aim guns at Mama." Jamie scolded, snatching the gun.

"Nope. No. Put it away"

"Babe, relax"

"Don't tell me to relax. Put it away."

"Baby-"

"Now. Lock it away. Right now"

"Wait, relax. I just want to show you something."

"Tell me to relax again." Amina warned, standing up.

"Do you think I'm playing?" She asked when he smiled in her face.

"No,Okay, I'm sorry. I'm not smiling at you. I'm smiling at how good you look. Anyways. I just wanted to show you something." He put his hands on her waist pecking her lips.

"And that's fine but as soon as you finish, put it away." Amina sat back down.

"Telling me to relax. Do you want to see your six year old pointing a gun at you?"

"João. You're going to get me in trouble. Show mama." He was afraid of getting in trouble with Amina so he just sat still.

"What do you want to show me, bubba?"

Hearing her now calm tone, João began to disassemble the gun piece by piece. It took him some time but about three minutes later he had all thirty two pieces laid out on the table.

Amina looked at Jamie in shock. She could barely pick a gun up and here João was taking it apart.

"Told you. Put it back to together, Mimmo"

"Mimmo?" She asked surprised that Jamie a) acknowledged João and b) had a term of endearment for him.

"Yeah. It's a little nickname"

"I know what it is"

"Why are you acting like you're surprised?"

"Why are you acting like you don't hate him?"

"Do you want me to hate him?"

"No, no of course not. But. . . Do you like him now?"

"Maybe" She smiled,hugging her husband. All she wanted was a family.

"Treat him nice. I know he's a boy and all that tough love stuff is normal but be nice to him. And be affectionate. Extra affectionate before he blows our heads off for not kissing him goodnight." She joked, kind of.

"Done, dada" João held the gun up making sure he wasn't aiming at anyone.

"Very good. Give it to me." He stood up handing the gun over.

"Listen to me, I don't want to see a gun in your hand unless it's an emergency or I hand it to you, do you understand?"

"Yes dada"

"Okay good, and stop saying dada, you're not a baby. Say dad or daddy or papa or something.

"Daddy" he hugged Jamie for the first time since being in their home.

"We play now" he began pulling Jamie to the stairs.

"No, you have school with mommy" João sighed and shook his head.

"It's okay, go play. We'll start school during school time." Jamie shrugged going upstairs to play with his son. 

I decided to scrap the chapter book and start again. I don't hate it but it's not my best and I have a better idea.