Quarantine

Amina- Mom
Jamie-Dad
Joao- Oldest child (12)
Samira- Middle child (9)
Amir- Youngest child (6)
London- Mom's best friend
Tony- Dad's best friend
Alessio- Dad's best friend's son (13)
Marco- Dad's Dad

“Heads”

“Shoulders”

“Knees”

“Toes”

“Knees”

“Heads”

“Knees”

“Papa, come on already” Jamie whined, his knees hurting from all the bending he had to do.

“Daddy can't touch his toes” Samira began cracking up.

“Cups!” Marco pointed at the red cups on the floor and Amina, Joao, Amir, and Alessio grabbed a cup.

“I got it” Amina teased her husband and he smacked the cup out of her hand being a sore loser.

“Jamieson” Marco gave his son a knowing look and He went to pick up the cup and gave it to Amina.

“Thank you, you loser. Go sit with the rest of the losers.” She stuck her tongue out at him childishly and he did it back before sitting on the sofa with the rest.

Marco repeated the process making them touch their heads, shoulders, knees, and toes.

“Cups!” Joao and Alessio grabbed the cups before Amina and Amir could.

“Come Amir”

“Noooo!! No fair! Go again, go again!” He snatched the cup from his older brother and put it down wanting to start again.

“You weren't fast enough this time bambino, go sit with Mama and Daddy. We can try again later” Marco tried to console his dramatic grandson but Amir wasn't finished with his theatrics.  He proceeded to kick the cup over and cross his arms over his chest.

“He gets this shit from you. I want you to cut it out because it's annoying and no one is going to want to play with him if this is how he acts when he loses” Amina stood up and went over to her six-year-old and picked him up so the older boys could play.

“S’NOT FAIR!”

“Lower your voice. There is no need to shout and get on like this, you lost, but so did the rest of us, next time you just have to be faster.” Amir huffed telling Jamie that he didn't want to play anymore.

“Amir, no one cares that you don't want to play. You suck all the fun out of everything anyway. Now shut up so Nonno can speak.”

“I wasn't talking to you!”

“Hey, what did I say about talking to your brother like that?” Amina asked with a stern look.

“He started, mama!”

“Who are you talking to like that?”Jamie asked when he yelled at Amina.

“I was. . .i was. Humph! João-”

“I think you need a nap, Let's go upstairs” Jamie stood up grabbed Amir’s hand, and took him upstairs. His cries and pleas began to fade as they ascended the steps.

“Cups!” Alessio grabbed the cup as João was more focused on his brother and father.

“Aw, can we play again?”

“Sure”

“No, let's go play football” Alessio suggested and João nodded, running to the back door.

“Can I play too?”

“Go ahead. Go play and if they are mean to you let me know and I'll come out there” Tony told her and she smiled at him skipping off.

“João, Alessio, Zio said to let me play or he's going to kick your butts.”

“Be the Goalie” Alessio pointed to the goal in their backyard. She stood at the goal excitedly. Usually, when she asks to play she gets yelled at and told to go away.

"What do I do?"

"Block the ball from going in." Easy enough, right?

"Too hard. You're kicking it too hard." João waved her off.

"No, we're not. You're not playing with girls. We run faster and kick harder. We're stronger. It'll make you better."

"I don't want to play football professionally, though"

They began laughing.

"What?"

"You know, I never understood the point of women's sports. No one watches it."

"Women do. I watch women's basketball with mommy sometimes and we love women's track and tennis and gymnastics more than the men's, especially at the Olympics-" Their jaws dropped when João kicked the ball and it hit Samira in the head making her fall. She began to cry holding her head.

"Why would you do that?" Alessio already knew he would be told off, even though he didn't do it. 

"I didn't mean to! Shhh, here. Don't cry. We can switch, I'll be goalie"

She pushed João away from her trying to find her mom or dad.

"I'm telling!"

"Samira, please don't tell. You can hit me. Do you want to hit me back?" João shushed his little sister knowing he was in big trouble.

"Mommy!" Samira ran into the house looking for Amina. She didn't want João to get in more trouble than needed so she didn't go to Jamie.

"Mommy" She cried, hugging Amina.

"What happened?"

"João and Alessio were being mean mama and then João kicked the ball hard at me and he hit me in my head right here"

"He hit you?"

"He hit me with the ball mama in my face"

"Move your hand, baby" Amina gasped when Samira moved her hand.

"It's not bad" Tony reassured Samira so she didn't panic.

"João!"

"What?"

"Stay here"

"I'll get him and Alessio" Tony stood up while London began tending to Samira. Reassuring her and Amina that she would be fine.

"Get inside"

"Papa, we just got out"

"Now Alessio."

"Me too?" João asked, hearing his uncle's tone. When he nodded João walked to the back door removing his cleats and going inside, Alessio doing the same.

"Why would you kick the ball at her that hard?"

"That's how I kick the ball. I was told not to go easy because she's a girl"

"But you still didn't have to kick the ball that hard. Her face is bruised João, did you even Apologize?"

"I'm sorry, Samira."

"I don't forgive you"

"I don't care. You'll be alright."

"I'm telling Daddy. What you did and what you said"

"You better not."

"Hey, enough. Enough. João, go somewhere." She stood in between her children, running her hands down her face. Two weeks in this house with four kids. Technically seven because she has three more kids with her husband, best friend, and her husband's best friend. At least she had her father-in-law to help out and handle all that was going on. But two weeks. She was the only one who didn't doubt how chaotic these fourteen days would be.