Distractions

“Dad, can I talk to you? I glanced at João before nodding so I could see what his coach wanted.

“Is he missing his cleats or his uniform? His little brother hid his clothes-’

“Its not his uniform, he has everything”

“Wait, Please dont tell” João seemed super panicked and i was starting to get worried.

“Is everything okay?”

“I'm not sure, I feel like it's important to bring this up to you only because it's interfering with his studies which affects his football time. Mom doesnt want him to play with anything lower than a ninety and the school requires an eighty.” I nodded wanting him to get to the point.

“Are his marks low?”

“Please don't say anything please. It won't happen again”João begged

“Go sit in the car, Mimmo”

“Papa, per favore, ho paura. Posso restare” I held my hand out for him trying to offer some sort of comfort. He held my hand and stood right beside me leaning on me.

“Your son is entertaining another young man and it's affecting his grades and play time. He's going to be on the bench until he gets his grades back up.”

“What was your point in saying all of this? You could have simply said he will be on the bench until he gets his grades up. Why are you trying to embarrass him or get a reaction out of me? If he was with a girl you wouldn't have said anything.”

“Its normal for boys his age to be distracted with girls. I think your son is. . .”

“And if he is-”

“Im not gay!” He grabbed his ball and cleats before walking off.

“You can scratch his name off your roster. He will no longer be playing for this school. What if he didnt want you to tell me? What if I was the type of parent that did not condone that, you would've been putting him in danger. You asshole” He held his duffle bag out to me. I snatched it and walked away. I was so glad I came to pick him up and not Amina. I just know she wouldnt be happy. I was going to make it my mission to make sure Joao felt comfortable and like he could be open and honest with me. I put his stuff in the back and got in the car.

We sat in silence for a while before I spoke up.

"João, you're not in trouble. I'm not mad at you and I will not force you to talk to me right now if you're not ready. It is perfectly normal for you to be curious and try new things. I'm not here to judge you, okay?"

"Mimmo"

"Please don't tell mama."

"What will I tell mama?"

"That I like boys"

"Do you like boys?"

"No. I don't know. I don't think so."

"Tell me about this kid that you hang out with."

"Well, he plays basketball. He has good grades. He's good looking. . .not in a gay way. In a way it's normal to admit the attractiveness of someone that's the same sex kind of way. I like his hair, he has nice teeth. He's really nice and considerate. I thought he would be a jerk so i was too scared to talk to him but a month ago we had to share the gym because it was messy outside. The ball come on to our side and I got it for him." Sounds like the start of a love story to me.

"A week later, he came back to school telling me about all these footballers and watching the premier league and we just started talking a little too much bc I starting getting told off in class and stuff. He started showing me basketball games and stuff and we just started practicing together and spending time. I think I'm gay" He began to cry, putting his head on the dashboard.

"It's not funny, papa!"

"I'm not laughing at you, mimmo. Sit up and look at me. Sit up"

"From what you've described, it just sounds like a genuine friendship. It's okay for you to be close friends with another boy. It doesn't make you gay, babe." I was trying to use the nicknames that Amina used in hopes of getting him to relax a bit.

"But. . . We kissed. I'm sorry!" I pulled him into a hug. For me growing up the idea of homosexuality wasn't talked about. My brothers and I just knew that we weren't gay, at least we couldn't be gay. Funny how my youngest brother is happily married to a man. It hurts my heart knowing how afraid he is. And how other people can find it difficult to come out. Regardless of if he is gay, he's my son and I'd never treat him any different. It's not my job to hurt or disown him as many parents especially fathers do with their sons.

"Do you like him, mimmo?" I asked once I let him go.

"I think so but I can't. Mama's going to be so upset. Please don't tell her."

"It's not my place to tell her but if you like him, look into it. He might just be your soul mate."

"My soul mate can't be a boy"

"Maybe it is bubba and that's okay."

I looked down at my phone when it began vibrating.

"Dry it up, mama's calling"