Boiled Egg

"Noooo! No Mommy" João got out of the chair, running to Jamie.

"João. It won't hurt. This uncle is nice. He will cut your hair and make you look so handsome." I tried but he shook his head. Jamie tried to cut his hair and forgot to put the guard on so he's missing a patch of hair in the middle of his head. It looks really bad.

"João, come on."

"No"

"Don't tell me no. You can't walk around like this you look crazy"

"Noooo,Nooo!!" He screamed when I tried to pick him up.

"I'm sorry" I felt bad for wasting his time.

"João. I'm not going to tell you again. Other people are waiting. Either you can sit with me while you get your hair cut or you can sit by yourself. Which one do you want?"

"With mama"

"Okay then. Let's go. You're not going to keep screaming and crying. I keep telling you it's not okay to act out like this, especially in public. Next time I won't be so nice, do you understand me?" He nodded, wiping his nose with the back of his hand.

"I'm scared mommy"

"I know. It's okay. I will make sure he doesn't hurt you." Once we sat down he began buzzing his hair off. This made João cry of course. He said he wanted to grow his hair long and never cut it.

"It will grow back Bubba. Stop crying" I collected his hair, made a little ponytail, and put it in my pocket.

"You're doing so good, baby." I held his hand knowing it was hard for him.

"I brought you a treat, bambino. Do you forgive Dada?" João shook his head.

"What if I gave you a donut?"

"Yes"

"Great. Once you finish you can have your donut okay?"

"Uh-huh"

"Stay really still. You're doing such a good job." Jamie smiled and distracted him while I pointed to a number one so he knew to buzz it all off.

"Did you want it shaped up?"

"Uh, no? Babe"

"Yes" Jamie looked up at me

"He doesn't need a shape up, does he? I feel like it looks weird on kids."

"No. He has a natural hairline." Jamie unlocked his phone and I held it for João.

"Wake up, you're finished, kiddo" It was only then that I noticed that he was dozing off. He brushed his hair down and took the apron off of him.

“You look like a boiled egg, mimmo” Jamie began cracking up and João smiled and laughed as well until he looked in the mirror. He began to whine, touching his now low-cut hair.

“What's wrong?”

“Look like boiled egg” He whined reaching for the bag Jamie was holding

“Aw mimmo” Jamie ran his hand over Joãos head and he pushed his hand away.

“Want my treat” João demanded with a pout. He smiled when Jamie handed him the chocolate donut.

“Oh, my goodness. He looks so cute” I took pictures to send to his mom, my mom, London, papa, Tony.  I just sent it to the group chat. I ran my hand over his head but when Jamie tried he pushed him away.

“Stop touching my hair dada.”

“You don't have any.”

“Yes, I do. Right here”

“Where?”

“Right here!” He pointed to his head, making me smile. This was something that I had to get used to.

“Thank you” I paid the barber and we left.