The Beta's Mate Ch.3

Start from the beginning

                “Who knows? Maybe you really do have mental problems.” Keri suggests as she climbs into the car. I shut the door behind her. Connor and Kayla live close to each other, while I live on the opposite side of town.

                “You’re mean,” I retorted weakly. A honk behind me made me turn around; the bus was waiting for me. I said goodbye to my friends then strode away to my bus. I did have my driver’s license but my parents wouldn’t let me drive the car to school, I didn’t mind that much the bus wasn’t that bad and I didn’t have a long ride on the bus.

                I got straight to my homework when I got home; I was home alone for the time being my parents wouldn’t be home till around dinner time. When homework was done, I continued my daily routine of playing the piano.

                It was around four thirty when I heard the doorbell ring over my playing. I stopped my playing and set the cover back over the keys before I made my way to the door. I saw Mark’s figure through the window beside the door. Just great, I thought to myself. What did they want now? I knew it was all of them and not just Mark because they were nearly always together. The Red River pack and the Holloway pack, my pack, were very close allies. There alpha’s were best friends, almost brother’s, both present and future alpha’s included.       

                “What do you want Mark?” I called through the door leaning my head against it.

                “Just open the door Lana, so we can talk face to face.” He told me, I really wanted to challenge him, but I guess I had done quite a bit of that already today when I had insulted him and his friends, so I did as he told me. He seemed shocked when the door opened, “That was easy,” he commented. He was alone at the door but I knew they were in the vehicle that was in the driveway.

                “I don’t have all day.” I informed him leaning up against the door frame, and crossing my arms in dissatisfaction.

                “Sorry, I just wanted to make sure you were okay, after, you know what happened earlier.” He explained.

                “What happened earlier?” I asked playing stupid.

                “Lana,” He cried exasperated.

                “Is that coming from you or him?” I questioned nodding towards the white hummer with tinted windows. Mark didn’t answer this question. “I’m not a child Mark; I can take care of myself. So if Caleb doesn’t want anything to do with me, then I don’t need him and I certainly don’t need the rest of you.” I slammed the door on him then and went back to my piano. I let my hands glide over the keys and I felt my day’s anger and frustration fade away into my music. I lost track of everything when I focused intently music, including the time. The next time I stopped my mother was coming in the door hands full of groceries and my little adopted brother Gavin was behind her.

                “Hey sweety,” She called dropping her keys on the counter; I stopped playing and made my way over to them.

                “Hi mom,” I replied as I stepped into the kitchen. “Where did Gavin go?”I asked.

                “Right here,” He answered appearing from behind the fridge door with the jug of orange juice that was almost too heavy for him to lift. He practically threw in on the counter before going to reach for a glass in the cupboard which was too high so I ended up grabbing it for him and pouring the juice.

                “Thanks,” He said before heading to the living room to watch TV.

                “I have something to tell you,” I said calmly to my mom, leaning against the island counter with my hands folded in front of me. She gave me an unsure look but nodded for me to continue. “I found my mate today.” I told her bluntly.