chapter eighteen.

"𝒃𝒆𝒕𝒘𝒆𝒆𝒏 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒕𝒘𝒐 𝒐𝒇 𝒖𝒔

"𝒃𝒆𝒕𝒘𝒆𝒆𝒏 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒕𝒘𝒐 𝒐𝒇 𝒖𝒔."

[𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐞𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧] 

in the quiet intimacy of the art studio, jungkook lay naked, the final strokes of taehyung's brush capturing the essence of the young man on canvas. the atmosphere was serene, a comfortable silence enveloping them as the artist and his muse shared this vulnerable moment.

the window was open a crack to allow ventilation, and the soft humming of the artist made the atmosphere tranquil as he painted. the late october breeze was gentle, but strong enough to make goosebumps arise on jungkook's skin and his hair tussle.

"you know, tae, i have this adorable pet bunny named coco." jungkook broke the silence with a soft yawn. "she's a holland lop, with the softest fur and the most adorable twitch of her nose."

the older man looked up from his canvas, a warm smile playing on his lips as he reached for another sized brush. "coco, huh? she sounds like a sweetheart." he whispered. "tell me more about her."

"whenever i come home, she's there, hopping around, excited to see me." jungkook's eyes lit up as he spoke about his furry companion. "it's like she knows how to make even the worst day better. and just the other day, she chewed on my hobi hyung's sweater and made a hole in it!"

the artist chuckled at the image, finding joy in jungkook's animated storytelling. "pets have a magical way of bringing happiness into our lives. i'd love to meet coco sometime."

the conversation flowed effortlessly between them, the genuine connection between artist and muse transcending the boundaries of the canvas. it felt they'd known eachother for years, it felt natural between them.

taehyung continued to paint, each stroke capturing not just the physicality of jungkook but the essence of his warmth, vulnerability, and the stories he shared. ths air in the studio seemed to hum with the unspoken connection, an understanding that went beyond the artistic process.

"and you, tae," jungkook continued, his voice a soft melody in the quiet room, "what about you? you have tannie, and i know you like painting, but what else brings you joy?"

the artist paused, a thoughtful expression crossing his face. "well, i have yeontan, yes. he's a handful, always running around, causing trouble, and yet, he makes coming home special."

"i get that." jungkook smiled, a shared understanding passing between them — the joy that pets bring, the solace in their companionship. it was a moment of connection, two souls laid bare, not just on the canvas but in the stories they shared. "but what else?"

"i'm... quite partial to poems and shakespeare." taehyung mused, endeared by the soft curiosity. "i spend my free time reading or playing my piano. nothing exciting. i'm rather old-fashioned."

"that is exciting." jungkook protested, smiling brightly. "i wish i could play piano... how long have you played?"

"my parents had me start when i was four." the artist answered, absentmindedly, dipping the brush into the murky water. "coming from the family that i did, there wasn't alot of freedom for me."

"what about now?" jungkook asked. "do you have that freedom now?"

"of course," taehyung smiled softly. "i have my own gallery for my work, and i'm doing what i love to do... it's nice to have escaped my parent's influence."

"do you still talk to them?" jungkook questioned hesitantly, lifting his head to look over at the dark haired artist. "even after that?"

"i do." taehyung answered. "they never had ill intentions, they were just traditionally wealthy people. i lived a very sheltered life."

jungkook nibbled his lip, falling silent as he ran out of questions. he was curious about the man, but he didn't want to come across as nosy.

he knew that kim taehyung had a wonderful soul, and he was glad that he wouldn't miss out on this. even after this piece is complete, he would still see the artist regularly.

kim taehyung had became a constant that he didn't want to lose.

the day's work in the studio came to a close as the final delicately placed strokes of the brush added the finishing touches to the painting. setting his fine-bristled brush back into the murky water, taehyung stepped back, admiring his creation with a discerning eye.

the canvas depicted jungkook in all of his ethereal glory, the play of oil paints, mixed with light and shadow capturing the raw essence of his youth and vitality.

as the artist stepped away, jungkook stretched his limbs and sat up, reaching for the robe that taehyung had provided him with, slipping it over his bare body with haste before standing up. "can i see it?" he walked over to where taehyng was admiring the painting.

"we did it, jungkook-ah." the artist smiled softly, placing a gentle hand on the younger man's shoulder. "it's finished."

"tae... this is..." jungkook's eyes widened in awe, his breath hitching. the painting looked so real, his body looking ethereal on the canvas. the oil paints and charcoal blended so beautifully; he was in shock. "it's incredible." he breathed, his voice cracking slightly, strangled and tight. "i-i never thought i could look like that."

"then you underestimate yourself." the older man chuckled. he gently cupped jungkook's cheeks, his warm honey eyes almost shining under the white studio lights. "the beauty i've captured is not just external, it's a reflection of the spirit you've brought into this studio."

"i don't look this pretty in real life." jungkook's cheeks dusted a soft rosebud pink, his gaze lowering to the artist's lips, too embarrassed to meet those gentle eyes that look at him so fondly. "you've painted me like i'm some ethereal being... a dream version of me."

"beauty is subjective, jungkook-ah." the dark haired man whispered, gently rubbing his thumb over the boy's cupid's bow, just above his thin top lip. "i painted you exactly as i see you. i painted you."

"r-really?" jungkook swallowed the lump in his throat, his heart pounding in his chest as the artist's gentle, slender fingers caressed his face. "but sometimes, i look in the mirror and i don't see what you see."

"we often see ourselves in a different light to those around us." taehyung mused, lifting his left hand to tuck a soft brown lock of hair behind the younger's ear, his right still holding the younger man's jaw so tenderly.

"and i hope that one day, jungkook-ah, you'll look in the mirror and see the beauty that i see."

_______

who do you think will fall in love first?

-TaesThickThighs