Chapter 36

Zehra's POV

After a tiring flight, I stumbled into the house and collapsed onto the sofa, too exhausted to make it upstairs to the cozy bed. "Go rest upstairs, I'll whip up something delicious for us," my husband offered, helping me sit up. But my fatigue turned into stubbornness, and I snapped, "I can take care of myself and rest wherever I please."

Suddenly, he scooped me up, and panic surged through me as I protested, "Put me down!" Ignoring my pleas, he carried me into the bedroom and gently deposited me onto the bed. As I tried to move, he positioned himself beside me, his hands resting on the mattress. Our eyes locked, and he confessed, "You have a way of making me do things I never thought possible."

Suppressing a smile, I playfully pushed him away, teasing, "Oh, you haven't seen anything yet." He muttered under his breath, "I'd be done for if you did," before leaving the room. Maybe giving him another chance wouldn't be such a bad idea after all.

********

I gotta admit, my husband is an amazing chef, and the way he's trying to talk to me is even more impressive. Giving him a second chance might not be a bad idea, but rushing into it? That's a recipe for disaster. I freshened up, changed my clothes, and wore my hijab to show just how broken-hearted I am by what he did.

"I'm sorry, meri jaan. I truly apologize," he says, sitting cross-legged on the floor while I'm on the bed. "I never realized you were developing feelings for me and how much it would hurt you. I know it's not an excuse for my actions, but I can't change what happened. Honestly, I still want to uncover the truth about your father, but I don't want to use you against him anymore."

Confused, I ask, "What do you mean? I don't understand. What has my father done? Will you tell me?"

"I'm sorry, but I'll share it with you when the time is right," he replies. It seems like he plans to reveal it later, perhaps when I'm healed, to break me all over again.

Letting out a weary sigh, I tell him that I still need some time to think. He nods understandingly, and I retreat to the guest room for some much-needed rest. I've made up my mind that we won't be sharing a bed until I'm convinced of his genuine remorse and his feelings for me. So, separate rooms it is, and I'll continue wearing my hijab around him since he seems to have a thing for my hair.

********

To my own surprise, I managed to keep my distance from my husband for a whole week. Can you believe it? Not a single stupid remark or annoying interaction between us. We didn't even exchange a word at work.

I caught glimpses of him praying, and it warmed my heart. It feels like he's truly begging for my forgiveness, always on his knees. So, after this week of reflection, I think it's time to give him a chance. Today, I'll finally have that conversation with him, and hopefully, we can find a way to reconcile our differences.

When we're both at home and he's in his home office, I decide to make some chai for him. Carrying the warm cup in my hands, I approach him and take a seat in front of him. He looks up from his laptop, his eyes lighting up as he closes it. His gaze shifts to the cup, and then he gives me his undivided attention.

"Can we talk?" I ask, and he nods eagerly, waiting for this moment.

"I think it's time for us to truly embrace our marriage and live as a united couple, because I forgive you," I say, a smile forming on my face. His eyes widen, and he jumps up from his chair, showering me with kisses on my cheek, nose, and forehead. Then, he passionately kisses my lips, expressing his gratitude with every touch.