Chapter 25

Zaidan's POV

"Max, get down from there right now," I said, exasperated, trying to make him come down from the closet. How did he even get up there in the first place?

"I will, but only if you let me go to work," he stubbornly replied.

I groaned. "You're not a child, for God's sake. Aren't you afraid I might even fire you if you don't listen to me?" I said, warningly.

"I'm afraid of you. But you can't just tell me that I will not go to work, because I hurt my arm and leg," he said as I sighed heavily and looked at Knox. "If you don't make him come down in another five minutes, you'll be in trouble too," I said, pointing at him as he gulped.

Max continued to refuse. "Do whatever you want, but I won't come down unless you let me go to work," he insisted and crossed his arms over his chest as the closet shook a little at the movement.

"Max!" I snapped. "Come down now!" I said in a warning tone. He eventually climbed down with the help of Knox and two other bodyguards. I sat on the end of the bed rubbing my forehead.

"I'm sorry, but why aren't you letting me–"

"Because we don't want you to end up like Lucas did!" Jake, one of my bodyguards, snapped at him. The memories of that day came rushing back, like an arrow piercing my heart.

Max lowered his head. "I'm sorry," he murmured

I pinched the bridge of my nose and shut my eyes, trying to push away the memories.

"Boss, it wasn't your fault," Alessandro said. I looked at him and nodded, but deep down I knew the truth. Till this day, I haven't forgiven myself for that horrible night. He could have been saved if I hadn't run to save the little boy, Ethan. He died in my arms. His last breath was in my embrace. I can't forget his last words he said to me while smiling. "I'm forever grateful I worked for you. You're the best thing that happened to me. Thank you boss for taking care of me when nobody did. Thank you for visiting me every day when I was sick. Thank you for loving me like a father figure when my own father hated me. Thank you for being the best father and best friend I needed to have. Thank you for always being there for me. Tell everyone I love them and take care of my brother. Now, I can die in peace, knowing I had the best life."

I shut my eyes, trying to blink back tears as the memories flooded my head. I took a deep breath and opened my eyes, looking at Max. "Max, we've already lost so many men and we don't want to lose you too. So rest up, and when you're completely healed, you can come back to work," I said, calmly. He grimaced and made a sad face, but agreed nonetheless.

"Boss, are you okay?" Anthony, another bodyguard, asked.

"Mhm."

"You don't seem so," Max said.

"Boss, it wasn't your fault," Jake, Lucas's brother, said.

"We'll talk about it later. In an hour, I have to go shopping," I said.

"You? And shopping? When did this happen?" Max burst out laughing.

"Shut up. I'm going with my wife," I said as he sobered. "Wasn't the plan to stay away from her?" he questioned.

"It still is," I replied.