Chapter 29

Zaidan POV

"Hey, Mr. Grumpss! Why are you just standing there like a statue? Come over and lend me a hand!" my wife exclaimed in frustration from the kitchen, rubbing her hand over her face.

"Wait, Zehra," I tried to intervene, but it was too late. "Don't rub your hand on your face," I said, feeling defeated.

She looked at me with a helpless expression as her face was covered in flour. I gently took hold of her shoulders and guided her to the countertop, but her hand accidentally knocked over a plate, shattering it. Tears welled up in her beautiful eyes as she looked at me. "I'm sorry. I don't know how it happened. I. . ." she began to blame herself.

"Zehra, calm down. It's alright, no need to apologize. Accidents happen. I'll handle the cleanup, you go wash your face," I reassured her.

She nodded and left as I tidied up the mess she accidentally made.

"Why don't you just call your maids to clean?" she asked, sighing, as she settled onto the countertop.

"Well, I don't actually have maids, and even if I did, I prefer to clean by myself," I replied.

"Wait, really? So who takes care of all the cleaning and cooking in the house?" she asked, shocked.

"It's all me, Zehra! I handle everything. By the way, why don't you make some kheer for dessert?" I suggested. [Sweet rice pudding.]

"But I was planning to make cupcakes," she said with a hint of disappointment. "And I don't even know how to make kheer," she added with a sigh of frustration.

"Don't worry, I'll teach you how to make kheer. It's simple! And we can still make those cupcakes too."

"Okay, so what do I have to do?" she asked and stood up.

"I'll tell you, but first grab me that towel," I gestured towards the towel next to her. She handed it to me and I cleaned the water on the countertop.

"Alright, Zehra, here's what you need to do. First, gather the ingredients: rice, milk, sugar, cardamom, saffron, and nuts," I instructed, while she put all the ingredients on the countertop and looked at me.

"Now, wash the rice thoroughly and cook it in milk until it's soft and creamy." She did as I said while I gathered the ingredients: flour, sugar, butter, eggs, milk, and vanilla extract to make cupcakes.

"Add sugar to taste and let it simmer for a while. Don't forget to add the aromatic cardamom and saffron for that extra flavor," I reminded her.

"Finally, garnish with some crushed nuts for a delightful crunch. And it's done."

"Done? Do I need only these ingredients? Nothing more?"

"Nah, nothing more. Now come here and help me with the cupcakes," I said and heard her groan. "Why do I have to do so much today? First you made me cook—okay I didn't exactly cook, but you made me cut the onions and tomatoes. Then I made kheer and now this?" She grumbled, grimaced and stood near me, glaring at the bowl in front of her. I smiled and ruffled her hair. "Don't you want your family to be happy that you cooked? I doubt that they have eaten something made of your hands," I teased as she angrily shoved my hand away.

"Tell me what I have to do?" she asked, frustration evident in her voice.

"First, you need to stop glaring at the bowl–" I began, but she interrupted with a wishful remark.

"It won't break from my glare, but I wish it could."

I rolled my eyes and continued, "Alright, let's focus on what we can actually do. Mix all the ingredients together in the bowl until the batter is smooth," I instructed, trying to lighten the mood.