Chapter 4

Zehra's POV

Two weeks later. . .

It's my wedding day today. So why am I not happy? I should be happy like all the other girls on their wedding day. But how can I be happy when I feel like I'm going to be trapped in a cage without a key?

Should I just run away? It's a tempting idea, but with this heavy dress, how can I escape? And where would I go?

I had dreams of studying and becoming a pediatrician, but who would have thought that I wouldn't be able to pursue my dreams anymore?

I love the concept of marriage, but not like this. I want to marry someone who loves only me, someone who supports my dreams and aspirations.

Why? Why did he have to prevent me from studying? What will I do there? Just cleaning? Cooking? I would have done anything they asked, but why stop me from doing something I truly want?

Now, I can't change anything. I'm already prepared for my wedding.

If only I could have run away. . .

"Zehra, my daughter, don't let those tears stain your beautiful face. Look at yourself in the mirror, my dear. Your eyes, like the fiery red of your dress, show the storm of emotions within you."

I embraced my mother tightly, seeking solace in her warm embrace. It's hard not to cry, but we must gather our strength for what lies ahead. Soon, Hassan bhai and baba joined us, their presence as a reminder of the love and support we have in our family.

With heavy hearts, we make our way to the nearby mosque, where the simplicity of our Nikkah awaits. It's a sacred moment, where the marriage contract is signed and the words "I do" are spoken, sealing our union. Following the Nikkah, we will celebrate with a modest Walima, a feast shared with loved ones.

One hour later. . .

I did it.

I signed the Nikkah papers.

I said "qubool hai" three times, accepting my union with Zaidan Malik. [I do/ I accept.]

And now, it's time to bid farewell to my beloved family. I always knew that one day I would have to embark on a new journey, but I never expected it to come so swiftly. Saying goodbye to the family I grew up with, the ones I shared countless memories with, is bittersweet. Yet, I am ready to embrace this new chapter in my life.

As we stepped out of the mosque, two cars awaited us. One white, which I assume belongs to Zaidan's Uncle and Aunt, and the other, a black car, belonging to Zaidan himself.

My gaze fell upon my mother, who was overcome with tears. I rushed to her side, enveloping her in a tight embrace, unable to hold back my own tears. We stood there, unable to utter a word amidst our shared tears.

After embracing my mother, I turned to my father, sensing the strength he mustered to hold back his own tears. As we hugged, he gently placed his hand on top of my head, imparting his blessings upon me.

"Don't hate me for making this sudden decision," he whispered, his voice filled with emotion. I looked into his eyes, tears streaming down my face, and simply nodded, understanding the depth of his love and the complexities of life's choices.

I hugged my best friend, Hoorain, and then my brother. His smile masked the redness in his eyes, a clear sign that he had shed tears.

"Well, you're leaving. It's a good thing, right? I'll have your room and the TV remote all to myself. No one will annoy me by my side, and I won't have to replace broken dishes or cook new ones every day just because you wanted to try something new. I'll finally have peace," he said, his voice cracking as tears streamed down his face. We held each other tightly, our tears mingling in a bittersweet embrace.