Chapter 16

Zaidan's POV

After Zehra left I talked a bit with her brother because Yusuf wasn't uttering a word.

I looked at Yusuf who was nervously looking at me? The fuck.

Was I his future wife or something that he was nervous about? And why was he nervous in the first place?

I glanced at him once again and saw that he was rubbing the back of his neck shyly?

Once again, what the fuck?

What was he trying to achieve? Does he want me to tell him, oh Yusuf you don't have to be shy around me, I like you very much?

The mere thought made me cringe inwardly and I quickly cleared my throat before I vomited.

"Zaidan bhai, what are you doing here so early in the morning?" Luckily Hassan's voice snapped me out of my thoughts, before I put Yusuf in his place.

"Can't a man visit his wife whenever he wants?" I asked, raising my eyebrow.

"Yes, you can, but this early? We don't even have the food ready," he replied.

"I'm not here for the food, but my wife." The wife that I have to stay away from, but it's so fucking hard.

"You're in our house, so we can't leave you hungry."

"I really don't care," I mumbled, my voice trailing off as my eyes caught my wife approaching, adorned in a yellow dress and a white hijab.

She looked stunning.

Always radiant, but today, the light colors illuminated her features. Her face, already bright, seemed to glow even more today–

Hold on, what am I thinking? I can't entertain those thoughts.

Yet, her appearance, her eyes, her nose, her lips–

What's gotten into me?

I needed to compose myself.

Shaking off these distracting thoughts, I noticed Zehra making her way to us, stopping beside the sofa where I sat.

I glanced at Hassan, silently urging him to join Yusuf so Zehra could sit beside me. Instead, he just grinned at me clueless.

Seeing Zehra approach Yusuf, I swiftly took her hand, guiding her to sit next to me. Finally, Hassan caught on, rising from the sofa to join Yusuf.

As he prepared to leave, Aunty Farhat detained him briefly. She offered me a small smile before disappearing, likely off to the kitchen.

"Yusuf and I gotta go out for a bit. We'll be back soon, so enjoy each other's company," he said before heading out with Yusuf.

I felt Zehra's gentle voice beside me. "You can let go of my hand, you know?" I glanced down, seeing our hands intertwined. "No, I don't want to," I replied.

"Mr. Grumps," she said teasingly.

"Stop calling me that," I grumbled, feeling annoyed. Releasing her hand, I inquired, "Where's your dad?"

"I dunno," she shrugged. I arched an eyebrow.

"What–"

"I know, I know. You'll go on about not knowing where your dad is and all that blah blah blah. I don't know, because. . ." she trailed off.

"Because?" I prodded.

"Huh? Oh yeah, I don't know because, Just because. No more questions," she said, locking eyes with me.