Chapter Twenty Four

"But will you return?
I came looking for you.
I want to go home."
~ unknown

Track 24.1: Inertia — Single Edit by Boston Manor

————— ☾ ❆ ♛ ❆ ☽ —————

FEBRUARY 25TH, 20XX
DAY 113
WHITECAP, MINNESOTA
3:30 AM

You had been asleep when the suburban rolled past the welcoming sign for your hometown. Slowly it passes by important landmarks of your life—Holdens Market, Smoker's Sheriff station, and the school. The snow that filters through the sky is light at the worst, breezing out of the way of the windshield wipers with each swipe. The town is dead to the world much like you and the other Seers in the vehicle, finally experiencing what felt like the first restful sleep in a long time. Even Bepo was snoozing, knowing there wasn't anything much better to do. He deserved his rest after all his hard work, anyway. The main strip of town isn't much more than a mile long. The rest of it is made up of small houses with their yards buried in snow. Some still have Christmas lights on just to keep the spirits up throughout the seasonal dreariness.

Wyper takes the first turn through the neighborhood when something in your body snaps, and a buzzing begins. At first it starts at your fingertips.

It's icy cold, and the sudden sensation starts to rouse you awake. Immediately it reminds you of the water dreams, where you were trapped under the ice. Your eyes are half-lidded as it crawls up to your elbows and envelops your shoulders. Only when it starts creeping down your spine do you finally register where you are: still in the car. Your eyes widen and you lift your hands up.

You're shaking. You feel like you've been dunked in an ice bath and then thrown into a blizzard. You can barely breathe. Your eyelids feel as if they're made of concrete when you blink. Only when your pupils register the snow falling outside, everything changes.

Fire. It swelters at the overwritten bond mark on your neck and you can't help but scream when it lashes through your limbs like a whip. Bepo's the first one to react, smashing his head into the roof of the car. Kira jumps awake and so does Astrid, both of them turning to look at you. Wyper slams on the brakes of the suburban, his eyes dilating wide in a predatory manner.

He only registers the car sliding off the road when Astrid yells at him. A manual breath and he cranks the wheel to the left, forcing the tires to catch traction. Bepo being the only one unable to wear a seatbelt slides with the inertia, his shoulders ramming into the side of the vehicle. He grunts with the impact and leans the other way to counteract it. The Suburban finally stops inches from a much older model by about fifteen years and in desperate need of a paint job.

"What's wrong?" Kira asks, completely ignoring the fact that the vampire driving the car almost killed the lot of you.

"It burns!" You gasp out, unable to filter any oxygen into your lungs. You slap your hands over the mark to try and ease the pain. That only makes it worse. "I ... can't breathe."

"The mark? What can we do?" Astrid asks after giving a quick glare to Wyper.

"I have to get out." One hand flies for the handle and fumbles it open. You barely remember to get your seatbelt undone before throwing yourself out of the vehicle and into the road.

You can feel the icy cold air filter through your lungs, but they won't move. It doesn't do anything to subside the magma coursing underneath your skin. It feels like someone doused only your skeleton on fire and struck your bones with a match. Astrid's the first one to your side, blind to the freezing atmosphere around her.