Chapter Fifteen

"The seas are wide, the oceans are deep, and demons lurk in the waters that separate us. But nothing compares to the monster I will become if the world does not give you back to me."
~c.k.

Track 15.1; The Beginning of the End by Klergy & Valerie Broussard
————— ☾ ❆ ♛ ❆ ☽ —————

NOVEMBER 25TH, 20XX
DAY 20
WHITECAP, MINNESOTA

The sun had yet to rise when Jami's morning alarm went off. It took her a few moments to register it, too lost in the entanglement of warm limbs underneath the comforter. Her eyes are heavy when they open, and she lets out a deep sigh between gritted teeth. Today was day twenty. She had been counting the days since your disappearance, keeping track of them on the calendar. Her right hand goes to flip the comforter off of her and expose her to the tepid temperature of the bedroom. The arm cinched around her waist pulls her back towards the center of the mattress.

"It's too early." Ace's voice is thick with sleep, face down on the pillow. He turns his head slowly towards her, brown locks falling over his eyes. "Sleep in with me."

She hums, contemplating the idea. "Let me feed the horses and I'll be back." Her own isn't any louder than a whisper. Her hazel eyes travel slowly across the dark room and out towards the window, but something catches her hair. "Ace—"

He gently pulls her down, interrupting her scolding with a heavy, sleep-laden kiss. "Hurry back, wifey."

She returns the kiss with another softer, happy hum. "I will."

As he snuggled back into the blankets and pillows that layered the bed, she rolled up into a sitting position and swung her legs off over the bed. She knew the sun wouldn't be up for another hour or so, it was only 6:30 am. Calloused palms rub at closed hazel eyes before blindly reaching for the nightstand to grab her glasses. She didn't have the energy to put in her contacts just yet.

She rises out of bed and finds her favorite pair of leggings to lounge around the house in, digging through the top drawer in her side of the dresser for a pair of fuzzy socks. After finding them, she stuffs her bare feet into her slippers and quietly slips out of the master bedroom. Her comfy shoes scuff quietly against the floor as she follows her known path in the dark until she blinds herself by turning on the light in the mud room.

Your scarf is still hanging on the hook next to Ace's keys.

Today was another day that you were gone. They weren't getting any easier. If anything, it was the opposite. It had only taken three days for Jami to get the tranquilizers needed from her veterinarian. So far, they'd nullified his anger five times without issue. It was always safest to do it while he was shifted, and he always went back to his bipedal self after he fell asleep.

Winfrey reported to the group last night that he was getting worse, despite all their attempts to prevent him from devolving any further. While he still was unwilling to attack her in any way, that didn't stop him from narrowing down on Killer and chasing him off the property. Killer never intended on interacting with Law unless it came to Winfrey's safety, so having to defend himself was something they hadn't expected.

Jami tried not to let the thought bother her as she stepped out into the dark, freezing morning snow. Her breath crystallized in front of her hazel eyes, barely visible if it weren't for the pale yellow light overshadowing the main barn door. Her black, knee-high insulated muck boots crunched against the snow. Her feet disappeared up to her ankle, even though Ace, Thatch, and Marco had shoveled a path for her just yesterday. After living in Minnesota for just over two years, she had grown accustomed to its winter weather. She did struggle a bit to get the side door of the barn open, and hastily shut it behind her.