Chapter Three

If anyone asked me: "What is hell?"
I would answer: "Distance between two people who love each other."

Track 3; The Tradition by Halsey

————— ☾ ❆ ♛ ❆ ☽ —————

NOVEMBER 7TH, 20XX
DAY 2
COLVILLE NATIONAL FOREST, WASHINGTON

The warm water from the shower head that streamed above you felt as icy as the rain that had pierced your skin outside. Kira and Astrid stood guard on the other side of the bathroom door to ensure your privacy and safety while you warmed up from your short adventure outside. You had only spent a max of maybe twenty minutes out there, but it was enough to soak you to the core.

Kira was worried you would get sick, and Astrid wasn't going to deny the black-haired woman's concerns, so they coerced you into the bathroom after dragging you back inside. It didn't take much for them to do so since you were disassociating so badly that you barely put up a fight. It felt like hours before the water felt warm like it was supposed to. You were too scared to give yourself that small comfort and wanted to slam the faucet off as fast as possible, but you couldn't fight the second round of tears when they mixed in with the water streaming down your face.

You were in there long enough for the water to just start turning cold when there was a knock on the door.

"It's Astrid. Are you okay?" That jolted you back to your senses and you cleared your throat before turning the shower off.

"Yeah, I'm fine." You pushed the curtain to the side slightly to grab the towel and dry yourself off without stepping out completely. "Is there a change of clothes I can wear?"

"Yeah, is it alright if Kira comes in and puts them on the counter for you?" Astrid asked from the other side of the door.

You nodded silently before remembering that they couldn't see you. "Yeah, that's okay." Your heart was racing at the thought of your captor being on the other side of the door instead of Kira or Astrid but you reminded yourself that they were in the same situation as you: taken from their homes and scared shitless.

The door creaked slightly when it opened. You heard the shuffle of feet on the other side of the curtain before the door closed again. You peeped out of the curtain with wide eyes to see some clothes set out on the counter. You took your time with letting yourself breathe before you realized that you would much rather be caught fully clothed or at least half dressed than in nothing but a towel, so you dressed yourself quickly.

Too quickly to notice that the clothes you were wearing was a dark green turtleneck and a pair of black leggings with some wool socks. All of it fit perfectly and it made a wave of nausea run through your system. Your hand was shaking against your will when you opened the door and peered outside. Astrid and Kira were standing on either side, not moving very much besides tilting their head in your direction to acknowledge that you were there.

There was a brief moment of silence before you spoke up.

"Is there any color I can wear besides...this?"

You saw Astrid shake her head and you looked at her. "No, unfortunately. We're all color-coded ." She wrinkled her nose in disgust and motioned to the shirt she was wearing. That was when you noticed that she was wearing a red turtleneck of the same style, and Kira was wearing a blue version. Your stomach coiled with nausea again, and the bond mark on your neck surged with pain.

You clapped a hand over it in response, and Kira noticed and commented on the action first. "Will you let me clean that up for you?"

You broke your unintentional stare at Astrid to look at her instead. "Uh, sure."