Chapter 29 Street Basketball Tournament Ruined

Chapter 29

The next day at practice, I was sitting around with the team and one of freshman bought in a poster saying, "We should enter this." It was passed around and I looked at the flyer. It said, STREET BASKETBALL SONS: Street Basketball Tournament. Everyone started making plans to do it and I said, "I'm sorry guys I don't think I can make it." "Why Ren you need to be there!" said Kagami. I answered, "I have to help my brother Eita cook a family dinner." They became very mad because I wouldn't be there.

When I got home, I started helping Eita with dinner. We cooked in silence, until Eita asked, "Do you like Kuroko?" Why did he have to be so random? "Why do you want to know," I asked and he answered, "Well you look like your in love with him. I just want you happy." "I think of him as a friend, Eita. Nothing more, nothing less," I answered. Then the door bell rang and we all made Aito open the door. "Hey Aunt Chan and Uncle Saizo." My brothers and I hate them because they kicked Aito out of the house when he was going to college. Then when Aito got out of college and was recruited for the NBA, he took Daiki, Eita, Eri, and I out of their house. We were sent to SF to live there away from our family.

My aunt walked in saying, "Hello Ren, I got some stuff for you from New York." She opened her luggage and found the bag, which had my gift. I have to admit I was kind of excited to open my dumb aunt's gift. I opened it and took out some women's underwear that said, I Heart New York on it. I stared at the underwear for a long time. "Do you like it?" she asked. Aito walked in the room with a platter of stuffing, when I heard a crash with him saying, "What the hell is that!" "Umm what are these?" I asked. Aunt Chan said, "Umm Ren dear, don't you wear those?" In my life time, I have seen these in the girl's locker room at the beginning of the year. The only thing is, is that I don't wear this type of underwear. "Then what do you wear Ren?" asked my Uncle Saizo. I answered, "Boxer hand me downs." "What!" my aunt yelled, "Aito what the hell is a matter with you. Making a girl wear men's underwear! Tomorrow she is going through proper etiquette for young women."

The next day, when it was the street basketball tournament, and I really wanted to skip out on this proper etiquette stuff. I woke up early before anyone, ate breakfast, got dressed, left a note for Aito, and ran out of the house. I ran down the street to the park, looking for my team. I walked down past stands that were selling food for the spectators. It was such a beautiful day, that I almost wanted to buy some of the junk food they were selling. I walked over to a vendor who was selling my favorite, Gatorade. I kept walking and then I found them, all they were doing was waiting around. I ran over to them yelling, "Guys!" Kuroko and Kagami turned around to see me running at them, quickly stopping in front of them saying, "I'm ready to play." "I thought you weren't coming," said Kagami and Kuroko said, "I'm glad you came Ren." I nodded saying, "My aunt and uncle came over. My aunt wants to give me proper young lady etiquette training." "Really Ren, you're here?" said Kiyoshi walking over with the captain. I said, "Good morning captain and Kiyoshi. Did Serin sign up for the tournament?" "Yes, we did and I had a guess you would be showing up anyway. Your a benchwarmer today though," said the captain and I nodded.

The game started with a jump ball, with Kiyoshi as the center. I watched from the bench, while they played their first round of the game. Then the whistle blew and I changed in for one of the senior who was playing point guard. The captain passed the ball to me to start the play. I ran down the court with him next to me and when the defense came over, I quickly passed it to the captain. I made it look like I had the ball, and they all bought it. Then when they realized I didn't have it, the captain was ready to shoot a three pointer. We ran to the other side and the captain yelled, "Press!" I gave a sigh of relief, at least it isn't a full court press. I was told by the captain at the beginning of the game that I was suppose to guard their ace player. I spotted him and I ran towards him, stealing the ball. I dribbled the ball down the court and then I did my world famous dunk. When it became half time, we all sat around cooling off. Then the buzzer went of, signaling that it was time to play the third quarter. I was told by the captain that I was suppose to play again. I started playing and we scored a ton of points.

At the end of the game, a familiar voice yelled, "Ren!!" I turned around to see my aunt super pissed off. She grabbed my ear yelling, "How dare you leave the house and play with these sweaty dumb boys! You're suppose to be doing proper etiquette training!" "Why don't you take your hands off me, you filthy bitch!" I yelled, slapping her in the face, "You were never here for me in the first place! You snobby bitch!" This was the first time I had ever cursed at someone. "Don't you curse at me young lady!" she yelled slapping me in the face. Then she gave a horrified look, and I touched my face. It was bleeding and I said, "I will never act like a girl, Aunt Chan. This was the way I was raised, so I won't change who I am. Get out of here, I don't want you here." "Come on lets get out of this sweaty dump!" she yelled and I walked towards my team saying, "No, you get out of here." It ended up, that she didn't like all the guys crowding around her all sweaty, so she left.

I left a little early from the tournament because there was no point in me staying long. As I walked home, I sensed someone following me and I turned around, with someone following me. I picked up my pace and the person behind me did the same thing. I was about to start running, when the person put their hands around my mouth. I wanted to scream, but nothing came out. The person dragged me into a alley and they shoved me against the wall. "You think I would let you leave that easily Daisuke!" the person said. I looked at the person dazed and saw it was Stephan Cole. He had his hair in dread locks and he said, "Nice to see you again Daisuke." He whistled and some other guys came over, some with guns in their hands, and others with switchblades. "Hey Daisuke!" some of the guys yelled. I said, "What's wrong with you guys?" Stephan answered, "To finish what we were going to do to you before you left the gang. You know leaving the gang wasn't right, Daisuke." Then I quickly had to strategize what to do, then from my gut instincts, I knew one the gang member with all the piercings would give off the first shot. I quickly ran towards that guy punching him in the face, giving myself a gap between them.

I ran down the street, with the gang members running behind me. They started shooting their guns at me and I kept running, dodging the bullets. Then I felt something hit me in the leg. I tried to ignore it, but it hurt so bad. I ran down a alley and hiding while the gang members ran past me. I opened a door that led into a old run down building that would hopefully keep me safe for the night.