Chapter 38

It was the third to last day of spring break when Jimin got back from her trip to New York with her mom and Charles. She'd had a lot of fun, which was slightly surprising because she thought it would bring up too many bad memories to go back. The last time she'd been in New York was with her dad, about three years earlier.

Charles was great, though. Jimin was glad that her mom was dating him, because he cared a lot about Jimin, and he cared a lot about Tiffany as well. Plus, her mom was getting a lot better in general and was even talking to Jimin about art school. It was incredible.

She'd missed Minjeong terribly while she was gone, though. She wasn't used to being apart from her girlfriend for more than a handful of days, if at all, and it was painful to be away for nearly a whole week. It was Friday now, though, and she was back from her trip and ready to surprise Minjeong at her house.

She was tired, though, from the trip back, so she decided to go grab coffee for herself. Even though she didn't think Minjeong would particularly need it, she decided to get some for her girlfriend as well. She went to the normal coffee place that she usually went to the one that was about halfway between Minjeong and Jimin's houses, and near to the school. It was probably the most perfectly located coffee shop in the area.

She found herself waiting in a line for coffee, which she supposed was unsurprising, since it was a Friday afternoon, and people were probably leaving work and in desperate need of a caffeine boost in order to survive the rest of the night.

Jimin leaned back on her heels a bit, glancing around the shop carelessly as she waited impatiently to get to the front of the line. Finally, she did, and she placed her order before stepping aside to wait for it.

The girl who had been in front of her looked at her with a hazel gaze as Jimin approached the area where people typically waited for their drinks. "I forgot how busy this coffee shop was," the girl said.

Jimin took a moment to realize that the girl was speaking to her, and she tried not to roll her eyes internally. "Yeah, it is."

"I used to live here," the girl commented, though the statement was already obvious based on her previous comment. "Cool," Jimin said, trying not to sound impatient, though she still was.

"I had a lacrosse tournament over my school's spring break this week. We're leaving tomorrow morning. It's cool to be back, though. Brings back a lot of memories," the girl mused, her voice distant. "This was probably the most interesting place I ever lived. The people were what made it interesting. Would you say there are a lot of interesting people here?"

Jimin shrugged her shoulders, though the girl next to her was starting to draw her suspicions. "I guess."

"Well you ordered two coffees, so surely you're buying for a friend, boyfriend, girlfriend? That must mean some people here are interesting to you," the girl assumed. "Sometimes I miss the people here. I had such a good time with the people I met here. Don't talk to them anymore, though."

"Why not?" Jimin asked, unable to help herself. There was something off about the girl next to her.

The girl smiled, the opposite expression of what one would expect from someone talking about her lack of communication with her old friends. She ran her hand through her sandy-colored hair. "People don't miss me when I leave. They'd rather forget about me. There was a girl. I know she didn't forget about me."

Jimin felt her heart freeze in her chest. "Why's that?"

"She couldn't," the girl answered. "I was her everything. It was so sweet, being that to someone. But I had to leave, you know? Can't help that my dad changes work sites all the time. Not to mention, things like that don't last forever, anyway. It was all good fun."