Chapter 6

The rest of Jimin's week was weird. She sat with her new friends at lunch - because she and Jeno hadn't exchanged any words since their conversation on Tuesday, but she didn't hang out with Minjeong again after school on any of the days. They talked a little in class and after class, though, and they texted occasionally.

Jimin was trying to be a little distant from the copper-haired if she was being honest, because she was afraid of what she thought she was feeling.

Friday afternoon, as the seventh period was ticking away, Jimin realized that she wasn't sure if she was going to hang out with Jeno or not tonight. She figured not, because her best friend hadn't attempted to speak to her in any form since Tuesday. That realization made Jimin release a conflicted sigh just as the bell was ringing, and she began to slip her English notes into her backpack.

She was so caught up in her head that she forgot to say anything to Minjeong - she had been making sure to at least say goodbye to her every day - but the copper-haired spoke first.

"Jimin, wait," Minjeong said, as the dark-haired was about to walk toward the classroom exit.

"Yeah?" Jimin asked, feeling a slight wave of butterflies flying through her stomach. It made her nervous.

"Are you doing anything?" Minjeong wondered.

Jimin debated on whether or not to lie to Minjeong, but she decided that there was no point in doing so. "No."

"Mind keeping me company for a little while?" Minjeong asked, sounding hopeful. "I don't want to bother you, though."

Jimin finally smiled. "You don't bother me, Minjeong." Minjeong smiled, a shade of pink appearing on her cheeks. "I have to stop at my locker and grab some of my history homework for the weekend. Meet you at... the soccer bleachers?"

"Sure, see you in a few then," Minjeong agreed, smiling softly as they left the classroom and split off into different directions. Jimin hurried to her locker, suddenly eager to hang out with Minjeong. She hadn't since Tuesday, which wasn't a long time, but it still felt like it had been.

Jimin knew how she was feeling toward Minjeong, it wasn't hard to realize. She'd had crushes before, always on guys in the past, though. She knew what they felt like. She hadn't wanted to accept it, but perhaps there wasn't much of a choice in the matter. And if Jimin's instincts were right, Minjeong was feeling similarly.

As Jimin approached her locker, she felt a sudden pit in her stomach as she saw Jeno at his locker, just next to hers. Inhaling deeply, Jimin went to her own locker and opened it silently. Jeno also remained silent.

Jimin retrieved her history homework, and Jeno closed his locker. He started to walk away, but then he froze, and half turned around to slightly face her.

"In case you were wondering, we're not hanging out tonight," he said, his voice low, but not angry. It was more hurt than anger, and that did nothing to rid Jimin of the pit in her stomach. She gave him a slight nod, and he was off.

Jimin squeezed her eyes shut, forgetting what it was that she was supposed to be doing for about twenty seconds. As she slowly recovered, she recalled that Minjeong was going to be waiting for her at the bleachers by the soccer field. Inhaling again, Jimin closed her locker softly and started through the school. Perhaps it would be best just to let Jeno be. Maybe he would forgive her, or maybe he wouldn't. Either way, was there really anything that Jimin could do about it?

Jimin exited the school through a set of side doors and was surprised to see that there were a bunch of people warming up on the field. Jimin spotted Yuuto and Aeri involved in the warm-ups, and she gathered that tryouts were happening. The dark-haired stayed along the edge of the field and then started up the bleachers, her eyes looking up and catching on the copper-haired was sitting at the top, doing something with her phone.