A Safe Distance

It's been a week since the fight. You haven't seen or heard anything on Miguel, which you're relieved about. No news is good news right?

After he had collapsed Lyla called in a team of scientists and medics. They arrived in what felt like seconds and immediately started scanning over his body and setting up equipment. His usual tanned complexion was flushed a lighter shade as droplets of sweat beaded across his neck and temples, the staff crowded him as they started their work. They handled him like they were already familiar with his biology. After locking him down in the gurney and hooking up enough stuff to his veins to what you assume stabilized him, they pulled him up ready to run off to some lab. You caught a glimpse of his face as they rushed by. You're not sure how unconscious he was, but by the way his eyes were rapidly moving in his lids he was probably still very coherent.

Something pulled you in his direction. You couldn't explain it, you had just gotten out of a near-death brawl with this man and yet you were running over to his side before the team of lab coats could take him away.

A fly flying right back to it's Spider.

Peter and Gwen both tried to stop you before you could start beating the shit out of him while he was weak. But thankfully they were wrong about your intentions. You gently pushed through a few of the medics and walked along side the gurney watching Miguel uncomfortably twitch in the dense metal locks. His nose twitched as you got close. "Miguel?" you said leaning over. You really had nothing else to say, his name seemed to be all you could say. You saw his lids flutter at the sound of your voice, his hand beside you jolted against the wrist lock around it. He shakily mumbled something through his clenched teeth encouraging you to lean in closer to catch it.

"C-Canon... your canon..."

'My canon? '

"Canon... c..."

He weakly repeated over and over. The word swirled around in your head trying to make sense of what he was saying.

"My... canon? W-What about my canon?"

He groaned and twitched.

"Miguel?"

"Miss, I'm sorry we need to get Mr. O'Hara to a room. Please step aside." a woman of the team hurriedly asked.

"Y/n, come on. Let them go." Jess gently pulled you back.

With that, the team along with a crowd of Spiders that had been curiously waiting at the doors of the lab followed their incapacitated leader.

'What... have I done...'

You rubbed your head letting out short shaky breaths. What the hell were you thinking? You weren't thinking. You let rage get the better of you and started that fight, a fight with Spiderman 2099. It was clear you lost, yet somehow you walked away from it while Miguel ended up being the one hurt.

And all those things you thought... the anger, rage, hate.

That wasn't you... you don't really hate him... you don't hate any of them.

But then why did you attack? Why did he fight back? Why did any of this happen?

The group of Spiders were all questioning why their watches were going off with alerts about a missed canon event. That wasn't likely to happen in the 2099 dimension, everything was under a controlled system here. And all Spider people in the society have already gone through their own canon events. How was there a missed event? No one seemed to have an answer... no one except Lyla who was oddly quiet. Jess and Kess were prompting her with numerous questions, but she was dead silent.