Disaster

It was once again Friday night. You told Spidey (the nickname you gave him after you said it once and he got extremely flustered over it) you'd be picking up the takeout for your hangout tonight.

He's been stressed out these days, you can tell. You're not sure if it's the crime rate, his hero identity, or something else, but the past few weeks you've hung out he's gotten less and less talkative and really anxious. He keeps glancing at your windows, tapping his foot, and fidgeting with his skin-tight suit as if it's suddenly really uncomfortable for him.

One time, there was a knock at your door late at night while you two were playing Street Fighter. He immediately shot up from the couch and webbed your entire door shut, then he jumped to you and threw you over his shoulder before flying to your window. He was so fast you could barely register what had happened in the span of 5 seconds.

"Spidey! What are you doing dude?!" you shouted as you pushed his back to pry yourself off of him.

He froze in place, realizing what he was doing. He hesitantly placed you down and you gave him a baffled look before running to your front door. He probably made you think he was crazy.

The knock ended up being your landlord, he had come to deliver a package that was days late. You weren't able to actually open the door to receive it though since it had been sealed shut with sticky webs. That whole situation was just one example of how concerning he was acting.

Just the other night, you were both chilling on your couch and talking. You tried to pry him about anything serious that might be going on, but he avoided the question. You were planning on giving up, not wanting to pressure him anymore after weeks of trying. But he suddenly grabbed your hand and pulled you to look at him.

You were taken by surprise, staring back into his mask's wide reflective eyes.

"Y/n, there's something I need you to know..." he said in a lower octave than usual.

"Y-yeah of course Spidey, what is it?" you tried to match his seriousness.

"You know you matter to me right?" he asked. You nodded.

"No. I mean really matter. You being alive, here. You matter." he continued. He grabbed your face gently with his hands, pulling you closer to him. You slightly blushed at his gesture, completely astonished seeing him talk and act like this.

"With or without me, you have to promise me you will always know how important you are! How important your existence is. If I can't be your hero, promise me you'll be your own hero." he said with a shaky voice.

Your breath caught in your throat. You panicked in the back of your mind at his words; "with or without me". Why would he say that? What's he afraid of? You have to know, not let him deal with whatever it is that's scaring him alone. Protect him in some way. You're not extraordinary like him... but you would do any and everything in your power to keep him safe just as he would for you.

"Y/n?" he whispered. His hands on your face held onto your jaw a little tighter as he leaned in.

You ripped yourself away from all your thoughts and questions, and decided to answer him with what he wanted. A promise.

"I promise." you said.

His mask's eyes caught a shine as he pulled back slightly. He threw his arms around you. He pulled you into him as his body shook. You could feel the breath through his mask on your neck as he gasped. He was crying.

What was making your Spiderman cry?

You'll never forget that night. It took everything in you to not demand him to tell you everything, to just respect what he wanted and keep that promise. But it still haunted you.

Since then, you've really been trying to help him relax after his long days of flying around the city. You told him tonight you'd get takeout and surprise him with some new food, giving him something to look forward to.

You walked the sidewalk toward the restaurant. It was sunset, the time you and him had always planned to meet. Just then, your phone chirped.

Spidey
im at ur place, you
got the food??

almost, ill be there
soon don't worry

Spidey
ok, please be safe
coming home

im one swing away :)

Your mouth broke into a smile. Home. He just referred to your apartment as home. You held back a laugh as you pictured him pacing your living room's ceiling probably talking to himself. You'll bring him a cookie or something.

You place your phone in your pocket.

B

O

O

M

An explosion on the street.

One second you were walking the sidewalk. Now you were laying on the ground with blood dripping from you head onto the pavement. Your ears were ringing, you raised your head off the floor to hear car alarms and people screaming in the street. You strained your eyes to focus, seeing the street was no longer a street. Debris was thrown everywhere, there was a dark cast of smoke that loomed over the city blocking the beautiful sunset. People scrambled out of buildings and crushed vehicles running through clouds of ash while fire danced along the cracked asphalt. The entire block of buildings were toppled over as if something went straight through them. Blood was splattered. Bodies littered the floor as people ran past them. You heard a mother cry out for her child... but didn't hear a child cry out for their mother.

'Get up, move! Help!' your mind shouted.

You tried to push yourself off the ground. An intense pain shot through your body, ripping a scream out of you. You swiveled to look at your legs.

Your knee.

The white bone was jutting out of your skin and through your clothes. Your entire lower body was covered in blood from the mutilated knee. You adrenaline spiked through you like lightening, you started pulling yourself across the street to the curb trying to hoist yourself to standing using a crashed car. You gripped to the car as you peered through the cloud of ash ahead. Something was coming.

Your eyes went wide at what emerged.

"There you are."