Part Twenty-Six

Reader pov

"My name is Atsuko, I'm Aizawa's lawyer," A tall man with short black hair says with his hand out. I reach forward and shake it. 

"My name is Y/n L/n, it's nice to meet you," I smile. 

"The pleasure's all mine. Now, Aizawa tells me he wants to get custody of you. Do you want this too," Atsuko asks. 

I nod my head firmly. "He treats me better than my own mother did."

"Well then, I'll do everything I can to help. It might be helpful to include your husband in these talks, don't you think Aizawa?"

"He's busy today, but he'll be joining us next time," Aizawa states. 

I perk up when I hear this. I finally get to meet with Aizawa's husband? Aizawa fills Atsuko in on everything that has happened so far, including the day this all started. 

"Do you think you could find willing witnesses? Surely someone overheard or saw something," Atsuko asks. 

Aizawa is about to say something but I interrupt him. "Mrs. Aka," I shout.

The two men stare at me in confusion. Atsuko looks to Aizawa for answers but he just shrugs. "L/n, who is Mrs. Aka," The lawyer questions. 

"She's my neighbor! Mrs. Aka has always been so kind and she was often worrying over me when we talked. I never knew why, but I guess she knew something was going on at home! She was also the first adult I came out to," I explain. 

"Alright, we'll go talk to her. When should your guardian be away for work," Aizawa asks with a hint of a smile. 

"I think she works today," I answer.

Atsuko nods. "You can go after this meeting. Anyone else? Maybe teachers or staff members from previous schools?"

"Maybe from my middle school. I remember one time a counselor was sent to talk to me. Make sure everything was going all right," I say, just now realizing how obvious it was that something was off my whole childhood. 

Aizawa winces, seeming to come to the same conclusion. "We can go there too."

***

"Her car is gone," I point out, referring to my mother's car. 

"Good, which one of these apartments is Mrs. Aka?"

I get out of the car and show Aizawa the way to Mrs. Aka's apartment. "This is it!"

Aizawa knocks on the door three times. Tiny cat mewls can be heard from inside. Aizawa's face lights up at the sound, just barely able to be noticed. A few seconds pass before Mrs. Aka opens the door.