Part Twenty-Five

Reader pov

Just as I'm leaving class to go to the dorms, Tokoyami calls my name. I slow to a stop and wait for him. 

"Did you want something," I ask. 

He has to look up just a bit to make eye contact. Or as close as you can get to eye contact with neither of us looking directly at each other's eyes. "Aizawa-Sensei informed me about your desires to meet with Hawks," The bird boy explains. "I was planning on going today if you're interested in joining."

Grateful that he was thinking of me, I smile and thank him. "I would love to go. I just hope he'll accept me."

"I'm sure he will," Tokoyami says with a hint of a smile, "You're an exceptional hero. Not only that, but he believe 'birds of a feather should stick together'."

Tokoyami and I partake in small conversation the whole trip to Hawks' agency. He tells me what to expect and what Hawks is like. I'm already so excited to meet him. From what I heard, Hawks is the ideal hero. As we walk through the doors, a kind looking guy with bird-like features smiles and waves at the two of us. 

"Tsukuyomi! It's been a while since I last saw you," He cheered. "Hawks is just up in his office. I'll tell him you're coming."

"Thank you very much," My companion bowed deeply. 

The two of us head to an elevator as Tokoyami gives me a mini tour. He tells me a bunch of cool fun facts about the agency and Hawks as a hero. By the time we get to  the office I'm much less nervous and more excited. 

Hawks opens the door with a bright smile. "Tsukuyomi, good to see you again kid!"

The bird ushers us both inside and closes the door. He sits down on a sofa and Tokoyami sits on the one opposite him. I awkwardly sit down next to him and watch them talk for a bit. 

"I would like to ask if I could do my work study with you, Hawks," Tokoyami requested with his head bowed. 

"That's fine with me! I was hoping you'd ask," He said, ruffling Tokoyami's head feathers. "And what's your friend doing here?"

I looked up quickly. "I have a request!"

"Let's hear it."

I explain to him my current situation, avoiding too much detail, and ask "Can I still do a work study with you?"

Hawks contemplates for a bit. "You already will have to work hard to catch up to Tsukuyomi here," He says. 

"I"ll do it!"

"And you'll miss a lot of work study days, meaning you'll have to work even harder."

I nod my head. "That's okay with me! I'll work as hard as I can and then some!!"

"What's your quirk, kid?"

I remember what Tokoyami told me on the way here. "I can shapeshift into any animal, extinct, real, or mythical."

Hawks seems to like my answer because he smiles and signs my paper. "You start tomorrow kid."

***

I'm dressed in my hero costume walking through the city. Hawks and Tokoyami explain how this district works and what Hawks' agency does. Apparently Hawks likes to show himself to the public to raise moral. He signs tons of autographs and people even recognize Tokoyami from his internship. 

Suddenly Hawks flies off and Tokoyami and I rush after. I turn into a falcon, a fast type of bird, in hopes of keeping up. It isn't as effective as I would like but Tokoyami and I get pretty close. Typically Hawks' feathers already have the situation handled by the time we even get there. The majority of the day goes like this. I mostly hang out in bird form, perched on Tokoyami's shoulder. Every time a crime happens I rush ahead to help but I can never quite get there. 

I decide I need to switch approaches. What else can I do? As Tokoyami and Hawks talk to civilians I think about what to try next. A few civilians try to pet me and I let them, but when they find out I'm a hero in training they usually pull back and apologize. I don't pay them too much attention as I work the details into my next strategy. 

It's soon time to put my plan into action. A group of villains with weapons robbed a bank nearby. I turn into a white-tailed eagle and fly after Hawks. Tokoyami is shortly behind, also trying a new technique. When we arrive on scene I notice a criminal is holding someone hostage at gun point. Hawks is trying to de-escalate the situation as Tokoyami prepares for a fight. I sit on a light post and assess the situation. 

Three opponents known, two have guns and one has a knife, there's a hostage involved, Hawks is sneaking a few feathers around to ambush safely. 

Then I notice a gun pointed at Hawks and Tokoyami from the crowd. I swoop in as he goes to pull the trigger, grabbing the weapon out of his hand. Hawks gets the hostage out safely and he and Tokoyami handle the three criminals. I go after the last one and swiftly knock him out. I shift back into a human and tie him up. The sidekicks show up and deal with the rest. 

I give them the gun and walk up to Hawks and Tokoyami. "That was pretty impressive, kid," Hawks praised, patting my head. "Good thing you saw that guy in the crowd. I was so focused on saving that civilian that I would have been hit."

I smile at the praise. "It was nothing. I just happened to pick a bird with good scavenger skills."

"Speaking of, you were a white-tailed eagle, weren't you?" I nod. "That's my favorite bird species! We have really similar wings, wouldn't you say?" At that Hawks stretches out his right wing and flaps it a bit. 

Hawks continues to praise Tokoyami and me as we finish up patrol for the day. I'm really glad he agreed to take me into his agency.