A friends concern

It's cold out as I wander through the streets of the Flita sector. It doesn't take long before I'm shivering even with this coat on and remember how dangerous it is at night for us Flita during the winter.

This might not have been the smartest decision. I'm not taking it back, though, I refuse to live under Drainos control.

"Hey, what are you doing?" I hear a voice call out as I quickly move through the empty streets. The Franus like to be inside where possible at night.

It's a feminine voice, and looking around, I can see Milly at the gate to a Franus home, likely her 'Masters'. She looks worried even as she shivers slightly with her coat on.

"Getting out of here, what else?" I snap then regret it as a look of sadness and concern form on her face.

I move closer honeslty wanting to talk even in my desire to get out of here. Draino likely hasn't even noticed I'm gone yet, not until morning anyway.

"But why, are you okay? Did something happen" Milly say again but quietly and I making her worry so I smile and shake my head.

She hugs her arms and looks to a window. Feeling nervous I do the same, is her master in there just waiting to call up Draino and let him know I'm out here.

"We aren't aloud to leave our masters property in winter, the cut off has already happened. It's too dangerous... if somethings happened, I can get my Master to help" she states, and I take a step back, remembering she's totally on their side and supports all this.

No, I can't trust her, and I don't want to be dragged back to Drainos, which is what Millys master will do. I have to get out of here, now.

I back up a few more steps and nearly slip on a icy spot as I prepare to run.

"Wait! Where will you go? It's too cold..." she yells, and I panic a little as I see a light come on in a window in her masters home.

Then I see her run towards the front door and pull it open, a Franus man is there and she points my way. The Franus and I make eye contact, then I see a phone in his hand.

Time to get out of here!

I would run, but I go at a jog as I try and make sure to keep my footing. In the morning, the snow will be cleared, but for now, I have to watch my footing while also not lingering.

It takes some time, but eventually, I manage to get past the residential sector, and I can see the port. It's massive with lots of lights that I know I have to avoid.

No one will take well to seeing me out on the streets. Even if I am a pet and this collar will grant me some protection I'm not suppose to be out here.

But I have to move past. Even dodging and hiding as a Franus guard working by the port looks my way while a light is near me.

My heart beating in my chest, wondering how I'm even going to get out of here. The Flita section is locked within solid concrete walls with border gates. The only way through is the guard station.

The bakery is next and I look to it with a sad kind of fondness. This was where I worked before my life fell apart... before the law changed and I signed that stupid document.

Usually it would smell of bread but with the recent bad weather the place must be closed. There's no point expecting Flita at work if even getting there could get us killed.

In some ways I did like that job. The hours were long but it kept me busy and the smell was nice. Even if I was hungry I still had my own money and my own place. All I had to do was worry about my own life.

I don't need Draino, I'll figure something out. All getting involved with him has done is cause me problems. I'm better off without him, and that horrible sister of his.

I know they are aloud to offer shelter and support to a Flita of they notice one struggling but I was doing fine! There was no reason for me to become a pet, I wish I had never out him down as my 'guardian'.

My face is tight and my fists are clenched again as I see the gate. A guard is standing out and my face furrows as I realise its the Franus who had me sign the guardianship document. Well pretty much forced me...

I dodge out of the way as me looks my way. At first I expect him to come over and grab me but he's still as he looks around him, as though he didn't notice.

I'm shivering still, especially now I'm standing still. After waiting a few minutes I start sneaking forward towards the security station laying low in hopes of not not being seen.

I pause with my back up against the security station wall as he comes out holding something in his hand. He doesn't say anything or look my way as he places it down on the table where processing happens.

I'm surprised when he heads back inside the hut and the gate opens to the Flita sector. Does he know I'm here? Is he just letting me leave? But why...

I don't think on it too much as I quickly grab and look a the item he left on the desk.

A scarf?

I place it around my neck as I head through the gate. It closes behind me but I don't care as I head off and towards the area of this city I've called home my whole life.

This is where I belong, not stuck in some Franus mansion.

1008 words

Written 23/12/23

Published 31/12/23