Shopping

I sigh with relief as I hear the ringing that indicates the end of the shift. The last few fresh breads come, though, and I quickly package them. I turn off the belt and then wipe it down.

Like others, I fall to my knees in exhaustion. With the machines turned off, the room soon cools down, and I wipe my brow.

The usual audio massage from the boss plays from the speaker. A speech about how lucky we should feel to have a job here, which I zone it out having heard it countless times.

"Now, since the pay scale has been adjusted, you'll be paid daily instead of your usual weekly. We also now have the right to terminate your employment at any time." I pay attention to this liking the more regular pay but not the fact I could lose this job at any time.

Looking to my closest coworker, I can see strain and stress on his face. No one is happy with this situation, and I recall him telling me his wife is pregnant. He must be so worried about her.

He sees me looking, and I give him a small smile. He sighs and rubs his forehead.

"I hate this... there's no way I can get by!" I hear him say with a subtle rage, but I know he's not the kinda man to act on it.

His fist is clenched, and I see a tear fall from his eye. It's unusual to see a man crying, but I pretend I didn't see it.

"How long now?" I ask calmly, hoping the baby might be far enough away to miss winter.

His eyes raise to mine with a look of defeat. The anger has gone, and it's been replaced with a sense of helplessness that I hate.

"She's due to give birth any time in the next month, really. I-i don't think the babies gonna make it." His clenched fist slams down on the hard concrete floor, and I can see his frustration and how hard it is.

The others are starting to leave now, but I wait a moment feeling bad for the guy. He was so excited when he found out his wife was pregnant. He came in with massive big smiles talking about names.

"I don't know how I'm going to keep them warm..." He whispers, and I know when a guy doesn't want to be heard.

There's nothing I can do to help him anyway as we both get up, and he gives me a wary smile.

"That didn't happen, okay?" He says with a wary look.

I know what he means, I'm not gonna get him into trouble for just being stressed.

"What do you mean we were just chatting?" I say innocently, tilting my head and giving him a quick wink.

He heads off, and I let out a breath as a serious look takes over my face. I'm the last one here, so I quickly scurry out, not wanting to seem like I'm up to mischief.

"Don't make me wait again, human, next time you won't be paid!" The boss says as he pushes some papers and coins my way through a gap in his door.

I grab them and stuff them into my pocket. Making sure it's the one without the hole in it. The last thing I want is lost money.

"Sorry boss, I'll be more careful next time!" I say urgently, wanting to just get back home.

He groans, and I head out, seeing the sun going down and shivering in the cold even with my coat on. Why does it have to be so cold already?

I keep my eye out for Franus as I walk, but it seems most of them have gone home. A few are walking about, but they ignore me. I make it to the gate without much issue and pass to human terf without the guards saying much.

I smile, walking down the main road and seeing a light on in the corner store near my home. I guess it must still be open. I take my pay from my pocket and count it up. The amount matches what I was owed for the shift.

I think for a moment how much I need to put aside for rent and put that back in my pocket. I'm left with a few coins that should at least get me something to eat.

I head inside and look around at the basics. Maybe some pasta or basic meats. No meat will be too expensive.

"Hey Valor, how are you doing? You getting some groceries?" Draino calls out, waving to me with a smile on his face.

I look over to him, glad to see a Franus who doesn't seem to hate me. I give him a big smile and decide to grab a tin of beans and a small fresh loaf.

"Yeah, just getting a few things," I say calmly, not wanting him to worry.

I bring them over to the counter, and he scans them. Luckily, it's just within my budget, and I hand over the few coins I can afford.

"This isn't much. Are you going to come back later?" He asks, seeming concerned, making me tense up.

I look to him and see the look of concern on his face. He knows I've been working more, and I'm sure he's heard of the wage drop.

"Yeah, as I said just a few things," I say and see him furrow his brow and head into the more expensive part of the store.

He looks over some of the nutrition bars and grabs one with fruits and seeds. I frown, knowing even on my old wage that would be too expensive.

"On the house, don't worry about the price," He says happily.

I watch him for a moment, then decide to count my blessings and just take it. Free food is rare to come upon, so it's stupid to turn my nose up at it.

"Thanks," I say quietly but loud enough. I know he heard.

We wave to each other as I leave, seeing him head to the door to close up the shop. The key soon turns in the lock, and he puts up the grate, leaving the glass covered. I know some humans would resort to stealing in these times.

I head back home and place my food on the table. I look at the nutrition bar with hunger but decide to grab a slice of bread instead. I look around and then slide it under the bed for another day. I'll eat it another time, but I don't want to lose it for now to theives.

Written 26 Sept 2022

Published 12 Feb 2023

Edited 01 Jan 2024

1114 words