twenty-six | morning calls

I WOKE TO A faint buzzing that grew louder as consciousness seeped into my being

Groaning, I swatted groggily at my phone on the nightstand next to the bed. When I couldn't quite reach it, I attempted to escape the firm hold that August's arms had on me.

I should have known that was never going to work.

He pulled me into his chest and muttered, "Leave it," into my hair.

"What if it's important?" I countered, rubbing my eyes even as the phone stopped vibrating. Clearly, I wasn't too worried it was an emergency, but that didn't mean I couldn't partake in my favorite pastime: messing with August Fletcher.  "What if something's happened to Eloise?"

August sighed. "You really should have just brought Eloise with you."

A strangled laugh escaped my lips. "I knew you weren't going to be happy to see me show up on your island. I didn't think bringing my hedgehog would exactly help."

August's fingers started moving in circles on my hip. "You think I wasn't happy to see you?" 

"I–" My phone began vibrating again, cutting me off. I reached for it, and this time, August allowed it, loosening his hold so I could swipe my phone off the bedside table.

And I wish I hadn't.

"Parker," I said, his name coming off more sharp than I intended when I answered his call. I wouldn't have answered at all if not for the fact that he called twice in a row.

August audibly groaned at hearing who it was.

Like it or not, it was a Wednesday morning. And I did have a job that I was being paid to do outside of lounging in August Fletcher's bed during all hours of the day. I really had nothing I could logically complain about, considering the rest of my colleagues were working away in New York, where they had to endure the ungodly temperatures of August without a beach to enjoy out their back door.

"Quinn," Parker responded, a little taken aback by my tone. "Did I catch you at a bad time?"

"Yes," August grunted as he tucked me back into his side.

I rolled my eyes at him even though I was turned on my side, and he couldn't see my face.

"No, not a bad time," I said, intently brightening my voice. "I was just working through a piece of the article that I've been stuck on."

August chuckled at my lie, his breath warming the back of my neck and sending a shiver through me. His close proximity was making it very hard to concentrate on anything other than, well, him. Because god, everything about this man was undeniably sexy, even when he was making fun of me.

Whether it was how I shivered in his arms or how my breath hitched at the feeling of his breath against my skin, August seemed to take note of my preoccupation. His fingers began to drift, sneaking beneath my oversized Warriors shirt–one from his closet this time–as Parker replied.