nineteen | the things we want

"CAREFUL THERE, Castle

"CAREFUL THERE, Castle."

If August was startled by my sudden appearance on his lap, he didn't sound like it. No, his voice, as usual, had a deep, husky calm to it. The effect of it washed over me, settling into my bones and making it incredibly hard to push forward and slide off his lap.

And another thing that made it hard?

August wrapping his arm around my waist and pulling me back down.

Yeah, I wasn't going anywhere.

"I think it's safer if you stay here," he murmured, tightening his hold on me so I was forced to sink deeper into his lap. Not that I minded. Although my ass was now making direct contact with his crotch, and I heard August swallow a groan as I readjusted to make myself more comfortable. It tickled my nerve endings, making me feel jittery.

"I can just sit on the bench back there," I offered.

Who knows why I offered. I didn't really want to move, not when August's bare chest was hot and hard against my back, and his fingers were tracing circles on my side. If he noticed the goosebumps he was causing, he didn't say anything.

"You'd have to make it there without falling over," August pointed out. "And the water is choppy."

It wasn't. Not that choppy, but I decided not to point that out.

"I just need to be able to see. Here." August took my legs, twisting them so they draped diagonally across his lap, and my torso was tucked against his side. Instinctively, I lifted my arm to fit better, curling it around his shoulders. One of his hands returned to the steering wheel while the other curved around my side, and his fingers continued to tickle my side. "That's better."

"August..." I started but paused when I realized how breathy my voice sounded and cleared my throat. Then I tried again. "August, I can just move. I don't want to distract you from, you know, driving."

Even as I said the words, I made no effort to actually get up. In fact, my fingers started copying August's, tracing little patterns on his upper arm.

I'd never been this close to a man who felt so good before. So comforting but also so commanding in his presence.

August chuckled. "Castle, you'll distract me no matter what. You think I wasn't distracted a minute ago when you were leaning against the dashboard wearing that yellow bikini?"

My stomach flipped, but I brushed away his words and asked, "Do you want me to put my dress back on?"

There was a pause before August answered. He spoke so low that the hum of the boat and the wind whipping around us nearly made it impossible for me to hear him.

"You really should. You should put your dress back on, and you should go sit on that bench, and you should stay at least three feet away from me at all times. That's what should happen, and that's what I should tell you. But is that what I want? Hell no, Castle."