twenty-three | straight to bed

WHEN I WOKE the next morning in the guest bedroom of August's beach house, I nearly threw the covers off and raced to hopefully find my favorite retired football player still in bed so I could join him in it

But then I sat up and stared straight into my reflection, thanks to the mirror on the wall opposite the bed. And that was when I realized that I absolutely could not jump into bed with August. Not when I looked this bad.

A shower. I should take a shower. I should shave every inch of my body and lather myself in good-smelling soaps. I should make myself look presentable before I burst into August Fletcher's bedroom with the intent of letting him keep me there all day.

A shiver wracked my body at the thought of feeling him again. Of having his hands on me, feeling my curves, and dipping between my legs.

I slipped out of bed on shaky feet, already feeling the effect of August's heat running through my veins. Padding across the bedroom, I made my way to the bathroom and slipped inside, only to spend the next forty-five minutes scrubbing and shaving every inch of my body.

Once I was clean, I threw on my Warriors T-shirt with August's name on the back–because he seemed to like it that first day I wore it–and nothing else.

The house was quiet when I emerged from the guest room. Since it was a bit later than when I first woke up, I checked the kitchen and the living room. When he wasn't anywhere to be found on the first floor, and I doubted he'd be on the second floor when he never seemed to go up there, I waltzed toward his bedroom, hesitating only when I reached the semi-closed door.

I'd been pretty bold yesterday, and while I didn't regret anything that happened in the moment, now we weren't in the moment. Could I still summon that same energy and jump right back into bed with him?

I inhaled shakily, feeling jittery with nerves–a combination of anticipation and a touch of anxiety. But God, I wanted him. And that feeling of want was one I didn't know how to shake.

Nudging the door, I called August's name softly. When he didn't reply, I repeated myself a little louder.

Nothing.

In fact, the house was eerily quiet.

With a frown, I pushed the door open further and–

The bed was empty.

My frown deepened as I did a quick turn around his room, noting that his bathroom door was open, revealing a bathroom just as vacant as his bedroom.

Where was he? Did he leave?

My stomach sank, and my anxiety quickly overrode anything else I'd been feeling when I woke this morning.

Retracing my steps to the kitchen, I searched for a note or anything indicating that August might have stepped out of the house this morning. When I didn't see anything, I made my way to large windows overlooking the ocean. Maybe August was drinking his coffee on the deck. I'd noticed that anytime he could be outside, he was.