coming out

it was only hours after billie's variety article had come out. only hours after she came out. the idea was that you'd give it a couple weeks or so before you'd come clean about your relationship and reveal yourselves to the world, but her fans were smart, and quick. they quickly pieced together your relationship, analyzing your every photo together as "friends," talking between each other, until some fan who chose to stay anonymous confessed to seeing the two of you holding hands at some point. despite there being no photo evidence, everyone was quick to believe it, the chemistry was undeniable. people had shipped you together before but now it was real. Unfortunately, and expectedly, some "fans" were less than supportive. of course, people were homophobic, that was to be expected. the post on billieeilishtours that covered your rumoured relationship was a mix of support, skepticism, and hatred.

you hadn't realized what had happened until your phone started blowing up, notifications every other second. billie was out, you knew she'd tell you to ignore it, but you couldn't help it. you began to scroll through the fanpage post. some of the comments were vile, vile enough that your eyes were watering. some called the two of you slurs, others wished death on you. a couple of them blamed you for her sexuality, saying you had "ruined her." you even saw some calling you a homewrecker, saying you had broken up her and her ex-boyfriend's relationship. truth was you had been friends for a while, but you didn't start dating until months after their break-up. the comments struck a nerve, you fought the urge to start sobbing.

then, a notification came from your messages.

bil<3

on my way home

you didn't know whether she had been seeing what you'd seen, and you didn't want to risk worrying her, so you wiped your eyes, put your phone to the side, and put on a movie while you laid in bed. you tried your hardest to focus on the movie, but your mind flashed back to everything you'd read. you picked up your phone, ready to scroll through tiktok or instagram in hopes of taking your mind off things, but as you texted some friends and scrolled through posts, your notifications were going crazy. her "fans" had started to attack you, commenting hateful things your posts, requesting to dm you, all to call you ugly, or say you weren't good enough for her, or to call you a slur. suddenly, every post was filled with insults. tears brimmed your eyes again, and you couldn't hold them back. you cried softly, the words imprinted into your brain.

as another attempt to distract yourself, you opened tiktok, but you encountered the same problem. different users with billie as their profile pictures commented relentlessly. the seriousness of the situation had taken you from crying silently to sobbing uncontrollably. you wanted to put your phone down so bad, but they drew you in, the words starting to convince you yourself of these things. you didn't even hear the front door open, or the footsteps up the stairs. in fact, you only noticed billie was home when the bedroom door opened. you quickly threw your phone to the side and wiped your tears with your sleeves, sniffling.

"baby, did you see-" she began as she opened the door, stopping once she saw the state you were in. her face dropped into one of concern.

"hey, what's wrong?" she asked, coming to sit next to you.

"nothing," you mumbled, but the tears that were still rolling made you very unconvincing.

she picked up your phone, seeing what you had seen. she took a moment to read some of them before looking back up at you, tears brimming her own eyes.

"y/n," she said pitifully before wrapping her arms around you tightly.

you hugged her back, the two of you crying into each others arms for a moment before you whispered something so gently that she probably wouldn't have heard it if you were even an inch further from her.

"they're right," the words were followed by soft sobs on your part.

billie broke the hug, looking at you with a shocked and confused expression.

"no," she said firmly, her eye contact unbreaking, "they're wrong."

"how do you know?" you sniffled, wiping your own tears off your face.

"you're perfect, you're sweet and you're caring, you're the most selfless person i know, you know me better than anyone else, and you're beautiful," she confessed, offering you a smile which you returned, "if anything, i'm the lucky one."

"alright, i don't know if i'd push it that far," you laughed softly.

"they're just jealous y'know?" she said.

"uh huh," you said sarcastically, smiling at her.

"i'm serious!" she smiled back.

"those bitches are all jealous because we have what they want. can you blame them?" she joked, causing you to laugh.

she placed a kiss on your lips before pulling out her own phone.

"we're gonna settle this right now," she said as she opened instagram, picking photos of the two of you together to post.

"you don't have to do this if you don't want to," you said.

"i want to," she assured.

she saved it as a draft, making you a bit confused. she opened her stories, making a black screen before starting to type, thats when you realized what she was doing.

some of the comments i've seen about me and my girl today are absolutely disgusting. if you can't find it in your heart to support us, then shut the fuck up and fuck off. don't call yourself my fan if you have or were going to comment hateful shit on any posts about us.

the text made you smile to yourself. she posted the draft from earlier with a heart in the caption and immediately disabled the comments. she shared the post to her own story and added a text above it.

anyway, here's some gay ass shit for all u real fans

you laughed at the text as she posted it and set her phone down. you kissed her hard, a smile on your lips and one on hers.

"i love you," you said.

"i love you more."