Chapter 2: A Raven appears

A few months later..

Sounds of clashing between blades can be heard from time to time. In a secluded part of the forest near Nevermore, Y/N and Igris are going head-to-head conducting combat training. Daggers against sword clashes with ferocity and precision. The Shadow Knights are gathered around the area to keep unwanted visitors from accidentally entering the sparring grounds. After an hour of high intensity fighting, Y/N sat down gasping for air with beads of sweat pouring down from his forehead.

<Only pay attention to the Sung Jinwoo vs Igris part>

Y/N looked up to the night sky and said, "It's been a few months since I started combat training, but I still can't beat Igris yet. But... I'm slowly getting there. I can already see the flaws in Igris' fighting style."

Y/N sighs and stands up while calling up Igris and the rest of Shadow Knights, "Once again, recently more people are disappearing near Nevermore or Jericho so be sure to alert me if you all find this monster decapitating travelers. Igris, stay for a bit and help me develop some binding power."

Lately I feel like I'm a bit unbalanced since I have the knights as cover in case I get surrounded as well so some binding force could be useful in the long run. Now what can I use for binding to derive from the shadows.

Y/N ponders and gets a clue, "I can use Kurapika from Hunter x Hunter as an example since his main form of attack, defense, and binding revolve around chains. Another example would be Gilgamesh or Enkidu from the Fate series using the Chains of Heaven Noble Phantasm from those golden portals.

 Another example would be Gilgamesh or Enkidu from the Fate series using the Chains of Heaven Noble Phantasm from those golden portals

<Think of the golden chains as shadow chains>

As I materialized the shadow chains, I entangled a tree nearby to test the power. After summoning more, I hit my limit on how many I can release.

Y/N smiles and chuckles, "Not bad. I managed to summon about twelve chains in total before I started to feel some strain. I guess I still need to work hard to grow this power. Anyways I should start heading back before I get caught sneaking out again."

Using Shadow Exchange, I swapped with a shadow knight hiding inside the shadow of my roommate. Looking over to the side, my roommate is still asleep. It was an interesting first impression he gave me. His name is Eugene Ottinger. He's a typical nerdy-looking boy with fluffy brown hair and black glasses and a metal retainer. He seems to exude pity and longing for recognition and friendship around him, but he does have a good personality on him. Though he seems too obsessed with beekeeping or anything bee-related topics. Considering he's the president of the Nevermore Hummers club, I'm not surprised. I even joined his club since I was told during the start of the school year that I needed a place to join. The location is at least quiet-ish since there's still bees buzzing around but the free honey is a bonus on toasted bread.