𝟭𝟳 | 𝘁𝗲𝗮𝗿𝘀

O P H E L I A

My blanket was neatly folded in the drawer. What was my blanket doing here?

I carefully took it out and felt the soft material underneath my fingertips. This was my mom's gift for me. I haven't seen it in years. Dad would always wrap me with it whenever I was cold.

It was the only thing I had left from her.

"Rome?" On shaky legs, I made my way toward the bedroom. I stood at the door and looked at him.

He was on the bed, his eyes pointed at the book in his hands. When he noticed me standing, he pushed himself up and took off the reading glasses.

"What is it?" He furrowed his eyebrows and came closer to me. His black hair was down his forehead and he pushed it away with his hand.

"Where did you find this?" My voice trembled and I gulped the lump in my throat.

His gaze traveled to my hands and he extended his arm and took hold of the blanket where the doves were embroidered.

He looked to be deep in thought as he stared at it.

"Someone gave it to me. Years ago." He said and I felt like the air from my lungs evaporated and my breathing stopped.

This can't be real.

The boy...

That boy must have given it to someone and then it ended up in Rome's hands. That was the only explanation that I was able to come up with.

"Who gave it to you?" I asked and tilted my head further to look at him better.

All of the cold I was feeling earlier was gone and now all I wanted to do was hear the truth.

"A man gave it to me."

"Rome that was my dad. This blanket... this blanket is mine." Rome's eyes widened and his lips parted. But he didn't say anything. He just stared at me stunned as I was. His eyes softened when he realized that the man who helped him was my father.

How did we cross paths so many years ago?

How could I not remember that the boy who was covered in bruises was him?

A loud sob broke through my lips and I lunched myself at him and circled my hands over his torso.

I buried my face in his chest and cried. Cried as much as I cried for the boy who had no one. For the boy who helplessly looked at my dad.

I have cried for him for years.

Memories flooded my mind. Where I would ask my dad if the boy we gave the blanket to was okay.

I remember Dad reassuring me that he would be. And he was, he was here now.

"Rome..."

"Shh." He kissed my hair and ran his hands down my back in gentle motions in the hope of calming me down.

My breaths were hitched from my cries but I tried my best to slow them down.