𝟳 | 𝗺𝗼𝗺

R O M E
age 12

Today was the 8th of March and I had saved up money to buy Mom a carrot cake. It was her favorite.

As soon as I exited the school, I ran to the bakery that was about ten minutes away. Mom liked when I was home for lunch even though sometimes I would get lost in the conversations with my friends and be late.

But today I'll be home in time.

She makes the best food and I really don't wanna be late. I was also pretty hungry.

The weather was chilly so I zipped my jacked and jogged to the glass door and windows where all kinds of sweets were displayed.

I would have rather a red velvet but since Mom's favorite was carrot one, that one will do. Also, it was for her and not for me.

"Welcome, son." The elderly man with salt and pepper hair said. He had square glasses hanging on his nose, hiding his dark eyes.

"Hello, sir." I greeted him back and wandered my eyes over the cakes and sweets behind the counter.

I dug into my pocket and took out the savings.

"I would like the carrot cake." Pointing to the cake, I smiled at him. It was a small one with white frosting on top of it.

He nodded and started packing it in a small box.

"Is it a gift?" He lifted his eyes to me.

"Yes, it's for my Mom," I said with pride, knowing that it was the first gift I was buying her. She was my only family and the best person I know.

"She'll be happy." My heart swelled at his words. I hope she is.

He placed a bow on the box and then typed something on the computer and then turned to me.

"That will be 22.45$." And when he spoke again, my breath hitched. I chewed on the inside of my cheek and opened my palm. I only had five dollars.

The man looked at my hand and sighed softly, his eyebrows creasing in...pity.

"I thought it was..." My sentence trailed off as I glanced from the box to him.

"Four dollars is only one piece, dear." Oh... I didn't even though of that.

I adjusted my backpack and nodded in disappointment. And here I thought that I would be able to bring her a whole cake. One piece will have to do I guess.

She can eat it. I didn't even like carrot cake that much.

"Can you give one piece then?" The elderly man shook his head up and down and opened the box. He took out the cake and then cut one piece of it.

It was enough.

He placed it in a smaller paper container and gave it to me. I paid for it and held the small box in my hand.

Mom will be so happy about this. Even though we didn't have much, she managed to give me everything I needed. She was my father and a mother, friend and a protector.

I didn't know my Dad and Mom said that he stayed in Italy. I still don't know why he left us but I didn't want to ask Mom and mention him because it always made her sad.

The clouds were becoming darker and darker and I felt small drops land on my face.

The roads were filled with kids leaving school and people leaving their work. Mom worked a night shift this week and I was thankful because I have been planning this for a long time.

Our old flat appeared in my vision and I quickened my steps also trying to avoid the heavy rain that was for sure arriving.

When I stepped in, the moldy scent hit my nose and I hurried to our floor. We lived on the third floor which was good because this flat didn't have an elevator and if we lived on the top floor it would have been really hard for Mom.

I knocked on the door and impatiently waited for her to open it.

No response.

I knocked again but she was still not responding. Maybe she was in the bathroom so I dug into the pocket of my bag and pulled out the key for our apartment.

Holding the cake with one hand while with the other one, I opened the door.

The place was quiet and I called out for Mom.

"I'm home!" I said and placed my backpack on the cabinet that was positioned in the hallway.

"Mom!" My steps were loud on the wooden floor as I entered the living room.

She was on the sofa, lying on her back. She must be tired. I tip-toed towards her and lowered myself to kiss her forehead.

As soon as my lips touched her skin, I noticed that she was freezing. Was she okay?

"Mom, are you okay?" I crouched down and took a hold of her hand. It was cold as ice.

"Mom! Wake up! I bought you your favorite cake." I shook her shoulder lightly. She was not responding. Lowering myself on the floor, I sat by her and kissed her palm.

I caressed her face and hair and waited for her to wake up.

She didn't. What if she was sick and needed help?

I got up and hurried to the door. I got out of the apartment and knocked on our neighbor's door. Diana and Erick were the couple who lived here and had a son a few years younger than me.

After a few seconds, Diana appeared on the other side and adjusted her glasses.

"What is it Rome?" She asked when she was the anxious expression on my face.

"Umm, mom... She's not waking up. Can you call someone, please?" She tightened the cardigan around her and got out of her home.

We walked into our apartment and she made her way to Mom. Diana's hand landed on her wrist and then on her neck.

"Is she going to be okay?" My voice trembled and I felt a lump form in my throat.

"Stay here, I'll call the ambulance and Erick." I nodded and she left. I sat next to Mom and held her hand.

She will be okay. She has to be.

I watched as nurses arrived and Erick got here as well. They checked my Mom while I stood on the side hazed by the whole situation.

My body was still but I felt the tears fall down my cheeks.

The sounds faded and my eyes followed my Mom's body. Her pale skin and her dark hair. The container with the cake stayed untouched on the table while my Mom was taken away.

The sirens of the ambulance echoed all around the neighborhood as the people watched what was happening.

Mom left and she was not coming back.

😣Thoughts on this chapter?

𓅪