𝟭𝟯 | 𝗮𝗹𝗼𝗻𝗲

R O M E
age 16

I tightened the blanket around me and fisted the soft comforter that somehow felt rough under my palms.

The room was pitch black and the only sound was my harsh breathing.

It was cold. Or maybe it was only me shivering.

The sounds on the other side of my room were starting to fade and I shut my eyes, trying to calm my breaths.

Just when I thought that today was finishing, I heard the door open. It was quiet yet so loud in my ears.

It was Finn.

I could recognize him by his breathing. He sounded like he just finished running and that was probably because of his disgusting habit of drinking and smoking which made him tired even after taking a few steps.

I was the yellow crack of light illuminating the wall in front of me.

I had to pretend like I was asleep so that he leaves.

The door stayed open for a minute and I slowly clasped my hand over my mouth.

A few more seconds passed and I heard the door close. A relief washed over me as I heard him leave.

I started counting and when I reached nine, the sound of his footsteps disappeared which meant he was in his room.

𓅪

"Where are you going, Noah?" Alice asked him after she placed the coffee on the small table in the living room.

We were all seated together when Noah stepped in.

I was seated on the very far end and Finn was seated on the armchair. His hand was scratching his balding head and with the other one he held the remoter while he changed the channels on the old TV.

"I'm going out with friends."

"Oh, okay." She turned to me. "Why don't you go with him, Rome?" Alice smiled at me but I didn't return the smile as I used to.

How could she act like all of this was fine? Didn't she see the dread and misery in my eyes every time she looked at me?

Doesn't she remember how her husband acts towards me?

Alice knew what was happening and didn't do anything.

"Please, Rome don't tell anyone anything. We already have so many problems as it is. I'll talk with him and we'll solve this."

Is what she told me when she saw Finn exit the bathroom that day.

I don't know if she talked with him but nothing changed. He didn't change.

"I'll go," I said. I didn't want to be here. I'd rather be outside when Alice goes to work even if it means being with Noah.

Noah rolled his eyes and turned around to leave.

"Noah, wait for your brother," Alice called out for him and he surprisingly did. I knew he hated me but he acts like this because of his mother. Playing the part of a good loving brother.