𝟴 | 𝘄𝗼𝗿𝗿𝗶𝗲𝗱

O P H E L I A

Rome was not here today. This morning when I woke up, I saw him at the entrance door, leaving for work.

I can't lie and say that I didn't feel a pinch of sadness overcome me. Okay, maybe not a pinch but a whole punch. My stomach twisted at seeing him leave.

For the past two weeks, he has been here. All the time. Only leaving for maybe an hour or two. Today he was leaving for the whole day.

At least that's what he said.

Apparently, he will be here by 7 or 8 pm.

Now it was half an hour past noon. I was sitting in his office reading another book I borrowed. Because he said that he didn't like his books around the house, I asked him if I could retreat here every time I wanted to read.

His immediate answer was yes.

The office was kind of cosy I can't lie. The couch was also very soft and comfortable.

It had a big window that allowed natural light inside and the view was gorgeous as well.

I turned the page and let out a sigh. I was bored. I haven't really been outside. Okay, the garden but not really leaving the estate.

It's not like anyone was stopping me but I just felt better here. In a warm place with no one being able to bother me.

I felt safe here.

I dropped the book on the sofa and stood up. My legs carried me around and I looked over to the cabinet that had a few items on it.

A world globe, a few frames with old pictures. I leaned forward and took a closer look.

In one of the pictures, there was a woman with a child in her hands. She had beautiful dark hair, flowing around her shoulders and a summer dress. The child in her hands seemed to be around five.

Could that be Rome? Probably.

The little boy had dark hair that fell over his forehead in messy soft curls. He was snuggled up into the woman's embrace and had a bright smile on his face.

They were sitting on a bench outside somewhere in a park it looked like.

Then my eyes went to the other two pictures. On both of them was Rome with another guy. He also seemed familiar and I think it's one of the men who works here. His name started on S but I can't quite remember now.

But from what I can see in the pictures, they must be really good friends.

All though Rome's not smiling in the pictures where he's older, they still look like really close friends with their arms over each other's shoulders.

There was nothing else in this room that would actually reveal more about Rome.

He was still a mystery to me.

After I wandered around the office, I put the book back in its place and exited the room.

I walked down the hallways until I reached my bedroom. It was quiet and the sun was peeking through the big windows. It was a beautiful day and maybe I should go out and walk around.

𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐄𝐅 ✓ जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें