Chapter XLIII

Y/N's return to the Butterfly Estate was marked by a mix of relief and weariness. 

As he entered, Y/N placed his sword by the entrance and threw his yari outside, a habitual action that he knew would earn him a gentle reprimand from Aoi later. Right now, he felt the pressing need to wash away the day's stress. He made a mental note to move the sword to its proper place later.

Walking through the corridors, Y/N's steps were unhurried, his mind replaying the day's events.

Reaching the common room, Y/N was expecting the usual quiet evening routine. 

With his hand on the door, Y/N pushed open the door to the common room, he was greeted by a chorus of voices.

 Traditional Japanese paper lanterns cast a warm, inviting glow, while floral arrangements added a touch of elegance and freshness.

Around the room were familiar faces, not in their usual Demon Slayer attire but dressed in simple, traditional clothing. The Hashira, the Kocho girls along with Tengen's wives and Aoi, Kanao. It was a rare sight to see them all gathered in such a relaxed setting.

The sight was overwhelming for Y/N. The room filled with people he cared about, all there to celebrate him, was both heartwarming and disorienting.

As he stood there, momentarily speechless, a soft voice cut through. "Y/N-san, is it your birthday?" All eyes turned to the source of the question – the two boys, Muichiro and Yuichiro, stood just behind Y/N. Muichiro was holding onto Y/N's hand, while Yuichiro stood with his arms crossed.

The moment was delicate, with Y/N feeling the scrutiny of Kanae and Shinobu's gaze upon him and the boys. He managed a sincere "Thank you" to everyone in the room but knew that an explanation was due, especially to Kanae and Shinobu, about the unexpected addition of the twins.

"Kocho-san," Y/N addressed Kanae, his tone soft yet firm, "before we begin, can we have a word?"

 Y/N led Kanae to a more private corner of the room, away from the curious eyes and ears of the others. The twins followed closely behind, their presence a silent reminder of the responsibility Y/N had taken upon himself.

"Only two kids? Oh well..." the demon had sneered, lunging towards a frozen Muichiro. Yuichiro had rushed forward to shield his brother, ready to sacrifice himself, but the expected blow never landed.

Instead, a powerful voice had cut through the tension. "Wind First Form: Dust Whirlwind Cutter!" In an instant, the demon's head was severed, sent flying through the air by a gust of wind so fierce it knocked everything in the cabin.

Y/N stood in the doorway. As the demon's head began to curse him, he silenced it with a forceful kick, sending it tumbling away from the stunned brothers.

In the aftermath, Yuichiro and Muichiro clung to each other, their faces a mix of shock and relief. Y/N had decided not to leave and waited for nightfall with a deep sense of responsibility taking root in his heart.

.

Back in the present, Kanae listened, her expression softening as she looked at the two boys. Turning to Y/N, she said with a gentle and exasperated smile, "I should have known better, Shinazugawa-kun." Her tone wasn't scolding or displeased but rather understanding.

 "If they cannot stay here, I will make sure to take them with me elsewhere."

At his words, Yuichiro and Muichiro flinched.