Chapter XXXVI

Okay, you gotta listen to the best song/soundtrack you have in your playlist while reading the end of the chapter guys, for more immersion.

❛ ━━・❪ ❁ ❫ ・━━ ❜

3rd Person's POV

Several hours before.

 Raijin, Y/N's kasugai crow, soared through the night sky with urgency. Y/N, always kind and encouraging, had named him after the Japanese god of storms, "Raijin, you're swift and powerful, just like the god of storms. you can face any storm that comes your way." Y/N had said.

Since then, Raijin had been utterly devoted to Y/N. Even though Y/N hadn't explicitly asked for it, Raijin knew he had to alert the Slayer Corps Headquarters at the Ubuyashiki Estate about the situation.

❛ ━━・❪ ❁ ❫ ・━━ ❜

Upon reaching the estate, Raijin cawed loudly, "Shinazugawa Y/N and Rengoku Kyojuro have engaged in combat with Upper Moon Number 3!"

First, Raijin sought out Tomioka Giyu, who was staying at the Ubuyashiki Estate at the time. Upon hearing the news, Tomioka's reaction was immediate and intense. He stopped practicing his Water Breathing forms, his katana halting mid-stroke. A look of horror and fear over his face.

"They're... in a fight with an Upper Moon..." he murmured, the weight of the situation sinking in. Memories of his deceased sister and his friend Sabito rushed to his mind. The pain of their loss was still fresh even years later.

"No... not Y/N. I can't lose him too. Not him, please," Tomioka whispered to himself, his grip tightening on the hilt of his sword.

The news that Y/N was facing an Upper Moon was a significant and alarming announcement. For over a century, no demon slayer had survived an encounter with an Upper Moon. 

❛ ━━・❪ ❁ ❫ ・━━ ❜

The Kocho sisters were having dinner together, a rare moment of peace from their demanding duties. Kanae, always loving to listen to her little sister, was paying attention to Shinobu's first mission as a slayer.

 "I managed to take down the demon, but it was messier than I expected, guts everywhere, nee-san. It seems I still have a lot to learn." She took a bite of her rice balls.

Kanae tried to ignore how nonchalant Shinobu was about violence. "You did well, Shinobu. It's not easy, taking a life, even if it's a demon's. You'll  become better with each mission."

Their casual conversation was suddenly interrupted as Raijin flew into their room. Shinobu was startled, "Raijin, what are you doing here? Go!"

But the crow persisted, cawing urgently, "Shinazugawa Y/N and Rengoku Kyojuro have engaged in combat with Upper Moon Number 3!"

The room fell silent. Shinobu's usual bold demeanor faltered, her eyes widening in shock. "Y/N and Rengoku-san... against an Upper Moon?" she whispered looking at Kanae with a panicked expression.

Kanae's expression remained composed, but her eyes revealed how affected she really was. "This is awful news. Y/N... he's always been so brave, but this..." Her voice trailed off, the memory of Y/N saving them from a demon years ago, a demon that had killed their parents, coming to her mind. He had been just a boy then, yet he had shown courage and strength far beyond his years.