𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘳𝘺𝘰𝘯𝘦 𝘪𝘴 𝘪𝘯 𝘴𝘶𝘣𝘴𝘱𝘢𝘤𝘦 𝘢𝘭𝘭 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘵𝘪𝘮𝘦

synopsis: this goes out to all my subspace-loving people... hope you're feeling fed after this

"Harry pull yourself together lad!" Harry's boxing coach, Miles, yelled from outside the training ring as Harry went against one of the other boxers who trained at Miles' gym. "You think you're gonna bring home the gold with that left hook?"

Harry gritted his teeth, pulling his fist back before jabbing his opponent in the stomach. In return, Harry received a rear uppercut to the jaw. He grunted and fell back on his feet, nearly hitting the floor.

"For fucks sake," Miles hissed and stepped through the ring, grabbing Harry by the straps of his black vest top before he could get another hit. "What do you think you're doing?"

Harry spat out his mouth guard and broke free from Miles' grip, "I'm fine,"

"You lost to a lad two groups below you." Miles followed Harry as he walked to the bench and grabbed his water bottle, pouring the water into his mouth and over his face. "You've got a fight tonight. Is this how you're gonna act in front of Lee Tyson?"

"I said I'm fine!" Harry glared at his coach, brushing off his words even though he knew he was right. He was just embarrassed that he'd managed to lose against someone below his weight class.

Miles pulled out a handkerchief and dabbed the sweat on his forehead. "What's going on?" He put an arm over him, "You're never like this before a fight, especially during training."

"I know," Harry was staring down at his bruised knuckles, "I know." He repeated, taking a deep breath. "I got into a fight with Y/N last night."

"What?" Miles was shocked, he'd never seen Harry and Y/N argue about anything in the whole three years they'd been together.

Harry sighed, "She doesn't want me to fight illegally anymore." He grumbles.

Miles nodded, "Ah I see lad," He claps a hand on his shoulder.

"She thinks I could do it professionally," Harry scoffs, "Me, a professional boxer," He shakes his head in disbelief.

"That girl's got faith in you that's for sure," Miles says, "I think she's right you know. I think you could do it."

"No, someone like me doesn't belong somewhere like that." Harry huffs, "This is all I've known my entire life."

"There are no safety measures in underground boxing Harry and the money you're getting would be ten times the amount if you boxed professionally."

Harry shook his head, refusing to believe that his life could be any better than it already was, "I love her Miles. What if she leaves me because of this?"

Miles sighs, "Your girl's smart Harry but she's a lovesick fool just like you. I don't think she'll be leaving you anytime soon."

"I want to do right by her Miles but I can't-"

"I get it, I do." Miles says.

Harry thought back to last night when Y/N was standing with him in the kitchen her cute pyjamas with red hearts on them. She was crying as Harry tried to explain to her why it was important he kept his job. He needed the money so they could have a life together but she said it had nothing to do with money and went on and on about his safety.

She cared about him, loved him so much, and she just wanted him to be safe.

Harry didn't go home even before his fight in the evening. He'd sent a text to Y/N and received no reply. He had been thinking of her all day to the point where the fight didn't even seem relevant anymore. He just wanted to go home to her and apologise for not listening as hard as he should have.