𝑶𝒏𝒆 𝑳𝒂𝒔𝒕 𝑻𝒊𝒎𝒆

Start from the beginning

When the Mockingjay emerged from the tunnel with her trusty bow in hand, the Black Dahlia was right by her side with her swords strapped to her back. In a show of strength and unity, the pair defied everything the Capitol did to turn them against each other and ignored every rebel who argued that they were enemies. They were a power that no one should ever have trifled with, a combination that would change the very course of history.

The drums rang out like a war chant, accompanying the pair as they marched resolutely down the Avenue of the Tributes. All eyes were glued to their figures, solemn faces gazing down at them on this momentous yet solemn occasion. There was no sign of fear in either girl's features, no hesitation or faltering in their step. Simply a desire for revenge burning in their hearts, a need for vengeance spurring them towards the ones that had wronged them.

As the rebels joined on behind the Mockingjay and the Black Dahlia, the crowd swelled significantly with each passing second. Katniss and Dahlia felt the support of a huge army at their backs, citizens who had fought a war with them, for them, answering their call for justice.

But the closer Dahlia got to the execution site, the heavier the swords strapped to her back seemed to weigh. After all the lives she'd destroyed, all the people she'd killed, she vowed to put down her blades once the war was over and finally find peace without weapons. Now she found herself carrying the very weapons that had caused so much pain across Panem with the intent of breaking the sworn promise she had made. Was the Madame right all along? Would she ever be able to live without a sword in her hand?

And then she spotted the reason she was able to discard her weapons to the side in the first place.

Finnick Odair was waiting for her with the other Victors, standing tall next to Annie as he watched his wife approach with adoring eyes. He always knew what she was capable of and he always knew she'd be the reason behind Snow's downfall. But he also knew how difficult it was for her to slip back into her Black Dahlia mindset and kill again, no matter how much the victim deserved it. At the end of the day, the choice was now hers. And he would support her in whatever decision she made. Because he knew she would do the right thing.

As Finnick nodded at her in solidarity, Dahlia felt the weight lift from her shoulders. Her utter devotion to the ones she loved was the motive behind every move she made in this game. She had always fought to get back to them, to protect them, to keep them close. And now she had Finnick, she had everything she needed... All that was left was to secure that happiness.

Because there would never be peace as long as Snow landed on top. And there would never be justice without first staining the pure white roses with the blood of the corrupt.

Snow would have to fall for the flowers to grow again. And ocean waves would douse the flames when the Coin was struck.

As the Mockingjay and the Black Dahlia held fierce eye contact with a restrained Snow, Coin's voice boomed out across the avenue, "Welcome to the new Panem. Today, on the Avenue of the Tributes, all of Panem, a free Panem, will watch more than a mere spectacle. We are gathered to witness an historic moment of justice. Today, the greatest friend to the revolution will fire the shot to end all wars. May her arrow signify the end of tyranny and the beginning of a new era. Mockingjay, may your aim be as true as your heart is pure."

There was no mention of Dahlia's presence, no acknowledgement of the sacrifices she went through to advance the rebel cause. Coin had sat back and allowed the citizens of the districts to die for her. Now she expected Dahlia to stand by and allow her to snatch power for herself? She refused. They had all suffered enough.

A light breeze rippled through the air, kissing Dahlia's skin with a feathery touch and whipping the loose strands of hair from her face. To her, the right course of action had never been clearer. As Katniss discreetly glanced in her direction, Dahlia tilted her chin up in a subtle gesture of defiance and support. They were both in agreement. The Presidents must die.