𝑻𝒉𝒆 𝑨𝒓𝒕 𝑶𝒇 𝑷𝒆𝒓𝒔𝒖𝒂𝒔𝒊𝒐𝒏

"I have an idea

"I have an idea."

Usually that sentence leaving Dahlia's lips would end in disaster, but she was certain that this idea would have a happy outcome for everyone. Even Finnick agreed. Then again, he agreed with most things she said... Nevertheless, he had given her permission to do her absolute worst against President Coin to ensure they got permission and approval. And Dahlia would not be leaving that room until she got what she came for.

"What are you proposing, Miss Blossom?" Coin asked with as much civility and respect as she could muster. It was clear to all those gathered in the room that the two women were not each other's biggest fans, yet both were trying their best to set their differences aside in front of watchful eyes. Plutarch and the other District Thirteen advisers were very grateful for that.

"A wedding." Dahlia answered frankly, not wasting any time in getting straight to the point. This caused the gathered officials to dissolve into scattered chatter and Coin leaned forward in her chair with a look of interest.

"A wedding?" Coin repeated incredulously, as if checking to make sure her ears were working properly.

"Yes." Dahlia nodded in confirmation. "I want to marry Finnick and he wants to marry me. We don't want to wait until this fight is over to make it official. We want to marry now. And there's no time like the present, so why wait?"

Coin feigned a clearing of the throat to cover up the scoff that had escaped her throat as she pointed out, "You do realise we're in the middle of a war, Miss Blossom. We can't just put everything on hold to host a lavish celebration for you and Mr Odair."

"Well, that's exactly what I'm asking you to do." Dahlia retorted quickly, easily disguising her satisfied smirk at Coin's irritated expression. "Look, as far as the districts are aware, I'm still fighting for the Capitol. This would be an opportunity for the people to see that I'm on the Mockingjay's side."

Plutarch's lips curled into a tight-lipped but evidently impressed grin as he regarded the cunning girl in front of him with a glint in his eye. Coin didn't seem as amused by Dahlia's words, her face remaining impassive as she remarked, "So you're suggesting--"

"We film the wedding as a propo and broadcast it to the districts as a demonstration of our unity and strength?" Dahlia interrupted, finishing Coin's sentence for her with an innocent smile. The President is rendered temporarily speechless by Dahlia's intrusion, which only makes her grin grow wider. She loved getting under that woman's skin. "Precisely."

"That could work." Plutarch chimed in, nodding his head to agree with Dahlia when Coin turned to him with a reproachful glare. "Think about it. What better way to show that District Thirteen is alive, happy and thriving than with a wedding between two Victors?"

"And it gives Panem a glimpse into the future you are offering them. Not just one where their traditions are respected, but a future where they can be connected and united." Dahlia added on passionately, preying on Coin's desire to have the support of the districts. And it was working. Many of the officials gathered around the table already seemed to be on her side and even Coin couldn't deny that she was swaying in favour of Dahlia's proposition. "Nothing like a wedding to bring people together."

All eyes turned expectantly to Coin, waiting for the final decision. Each was hopeful that she would agree with the idea, in desperate need of a reason to celebrate and have some fun. Everyone knew it was an ingenious plan but the President was reluctant to give in to the demands of yet another Victor, especially one whose history was tainted with darkness. But Dahlia was equally determined to get what she wanted and she wasn't backing down without a fight. It was a battle of wits and will power, with only one winner...

•——————•°•✿•°•——————•

Finnick, Annie and Haymitch were waiting outside together for Dahlia to emerge with the verdict. The Golden Boy had yet to sit still for more than a few seconds, alternating between pacing up and down the corridor to repeatedly knotting the blue rope that had kept him sane when Dahlia was trapped in the Capitol. Haymitch was just opening his mouth to demand that Finnick stop wearing a hole in the floor when Dahlia popped out of the command office.

The trio immediately jumped to attention at her arrival, Finnick instantly striding forward to bring Dahlia back into his arms. "What happened? What did she say?" He questioned nervously, anxious that Coin had denied their request. Dahlia's face gave nothing away, putting Finnick even more on edge. "Lia, what is it? Tell me."

Finally, she lifted her head to reveal tear-stained cheeks and watery eyes. Finnick's heart sank in his chest as he found himself assuming the worst. But then Dahlia's face broke out in the most dazzling smile, her eyes lighting up with delight as she whispered, "We're getting married."

Finnick froze with his mouth hanging open and his eyes widened. Stuttering madly, he echoed, "W-- We're--"

"We're getting married, Finn!" Dahlia suddenly squealed out, leaping into Finnick's arms as he scrambled to snap out of his daze and catch her. One hand wrapped securely around her waist and the other cradling the back of her head, he spun the two of them around with joyous glee. Carefree laughter escaped their lips as Dahlia kicked her legs in childlike excitement.

Annie and Haymitch watched with amused grins as the two celebrated together, lost to the world in their own little bubble of euphoria. And when Finnick cheered out, "I'm marrying my little flower!" loud enough to be heard all the way down the corridor, they struggled to contain their own elated laughter. It was hard not to be ecstatic for them. Their joy was infectious. After all the shit they had been through, all the years of pain and suffering, they had both earned the right to find happiness with each other. If anyone deserved this, it was Finnick and Dahlia.

As various District Thirteen personnel began to stick their head out into the hallway to discover the source of the commotion, Haymitch muttered to Annie out of the corner of his mouth, "Should we tell them they've got an audience?"

But Finnick and Dahlia were too enamoured with each other to care. Nothing else mattered when they were wrapped in the arms of the person they loved most.

"No. Leave them be. They're happy." Annie replied airily, smiling softly at the devoted pair who gazed at each other with a love so pure. She could picture Cove and Lavender cheering them on from above, where they had been watching their journey with eager interest. She had imagined their spirits guiding Dahlia out of the darkness and back to the light of her own mind, back to Finnick. She could even feel their presence at her side as they proudly admired the couple who were always meant to be together, despite the forces that had tried desperately to pull them apart. Nothing would pull them apart anymore, not when they had their beloved angels watching over them."They're happy." Annie repeated once more. But this time she wasn't referring to just Finnick and Dahlia.

"Well," Haymitch announced authoritatively, clapping his hands together in mock preparation of what was to come. "Looks like we've got a wedding to plan."

The reminder caused Annie to let out a little shriek of joy as she bounced up and down on her toes in anticipation. Tugging eagerly on Haymitch's arm, she began to drag him off as she loudly exclaimed in his ear, "I have so many ideas."

Haymitch suddenly regretted reminding her of that.