𝑹𝒆𝒂𝒍

Over the next few days Finnick stayed faithful to his promise, helping Dahlia recover more of her repressed memories and discover the truth for herself

Over the next few days Finnick stayed faithful to his promise, helping Dahlia recover more of her repressed memories and discover the truth for herself. He was patient and compassionate, never once complaining about her constant questions and answering each one with as much detail as he could. And each day, Dahlia fell more and more in love with him. Because without Finnick, Dahlia wasn't complete. He was the piece of her that was missing all along.

"Your favourite colour is blue. Real or not real?"

"Real."

With his encouragement, Dahlia's life started to make more sense and all the stories were starting to fit together in the timeline of her existence. She remembered important people that the Capitol had tried to erase, recalled her harrowing experiences in the Games and relived some of the worst moments from her life. Finding her mother and sister dead, watching Lavender die in the Games, holding Cove as she took her last breath... She despised Snow and the Madame for stealing those memories from her. They had shaped her into the woman she was, became her reason to keep fighting. The more she started to remember, the angrier she grew.

"The Capitol taught me to wield a sword. Real or not real?"

"Not real."

That anger only increased once Finnick told her the story of Alaric Silvers. Her father. Not by blood or legality, but in everything else. The man who raised her. The man who saved her. He taught her how to survive, how to win and how to endure. And she had taught him to keep fighting. She wouldn't be alive if it weren't for him, and the Capitol had taken that away from her. They had tainted his legacy and destroyed his sacrifice. She could never forgive them for that.

And when she finally worked up the courage to watch the footage from her Games, Finnick sat by her side the whole time. Together, hand in hand, they witnessed her become a killer for the first time. Apollo, the death that became the start of a massacre. She forced herself to watch each tribute's death, every life she took, and remember their names. Because if she didn't, who would?

Apollo, Crystal, Caspian, Victoria, Ryker, Jean... Wyatt.

Seven children who never got a chance to grow older, because of her.

"Not real," Finnick had told her the moment she uttered those words. "Because of Snow. It's his fault. Not yours."

Because of Snow.

But those weren't the last of Dahlia's victims. There were those who got hurt along the way simply by being associated with her.

Cove, Lavender, Annie, Rosie, her mother...

Those she lost in the Quarter Quell.

Alaric, Mags, Wiress and the other fallen members of the Alliance...

Those she was ordered to kill.

Juno, dozens of innocent rebels...

The lists could go on and on, and the guilt would linger forever. The guilt was real.

𝑻𝑯𝑬 𝑩𝑳𝑨𝑪𝑲 𝑫𝑨𝑯𝑳𝑰𝑨, 𝒇𝒊𝒏𝒏𝒊𝒄𝒌 𝒐𝒅𝒂𝒊𝒓On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara