𝑻𝒐𝒖𝒈𝒉 𝑳𝒐𝒗𝒆

The next morning, once the bombing of the surface was over, Katniss ventured out into the destruction to film a reassuring message to the rebels of each district

The next morning, once the bombing of the surface was over, Katniss ventured out into the destruction to film a reassuring message to the rebels of each district. A message to say that she and District Thirteen had survived the Capitol's attack. That hope was not lost. But what she found waiting for her, destroyed all hope she had in herself.

In the crater of rubble and debris, a cascade of white roses had been dropped, their pristine petals an unnerving sight amongst the obliteration of grey concrete. But in the centre of all the chaos sat a flower of a different kind, its darkness providing a stark contrast with the innocent light surrounding it. A single black dahlia.

•——————•°•✿•°•——————•

"Where do your loyalties lie?"

"To the Capitol."

"Who do you serve?"

"President Snow."

"What is your name?"

"The Black Dahlia."

After the disastrous broadcast where Peeta managed to let slip Snow's plans to wipe out District Thirteen, certain safety precautions had to be taken. Including running diagnostics on their little weapon to check she wasn't free of their control. There had been many concerns for her allegiance when she didn't react to Peeta's reveal of their secrets. Some thought her refusal to act was an admission of guilt.

The Black Dahlia was strapped into the machine just in case those rumours were true, the scientists and doctors already prepared to administer the mind wipe once more. To the relief of the Capitol, the Mockingjay's interruption hadn't caused any visible damage to the girl's training and obedience. After asking the necessary questions, the Madame turned to Snow with a satisfied nod. She believed the Black Dahlia had not been compromised.

"The plan can go ahead as we agreed?" Snow checked in a low discreet whisper once the Madame had reached his side. Again, he received a nod of confirmation. "Good." He tried to disguise the way his tense body relaxed slightly at the news, reassured that he would not have to make any changes. "She will wreak havoc on the rebels. And our dear Peeta will wreak havoc on the Mockingjay."

"Indeed, sir." The Madame agreed with a smug smirk resting on her lips. "I have trained her well. She will not fail you."

President Snow glanced down at the woman with a sinister gleam in his eye as he softly muttered, "She had better not. Second chances are a rarity to come by."

The Madame shrunk in submission, knowing the man was referring to the last time she promised the Black Dahlia would not fail. A dark stain on her otherwise immaculate record. Head hung in shame for that unfortunate incidence, she replied, "I understand, President Snow. I appreciate your faith in me and my work. She will do her duty, I am sure."