𝑻𝒉𝒆 𝑺𝒄𝒂𝒑𝒆𝒈𝒐𝒂𝒕

As Jackson and Boggs explained the situation to Katniss, Gale, Mitchell, Homes and the film crew, Finnick and Dahlia were temporarily put on Peeta-watch with the Leeg sisters

As Jackson and Boggs explained the situation to Katniss, Gale, Mitchell, Homes and the film crew, Finnick and Dahlia were temporarily put on Peeta-watch with the Leeg sisters. Dahlia didn't protest against her orders, but she wasn't sure it was wise for her to be one of the first people Peeta saw out of confinement. The last he remembered of her she was a Capitol soldier, a stern imposing figure in charge of keeping him in line during interviews. She was proven right the second Peeta's eyes landed on her.

His entire body went rigid, the colour quickly draining from his face as his eyes began to water. It was clear that he was absolutely terrified of her, despite the kind smile she attempted to plaster on. His bottom lip trembled as he shakily muttered, "The-- The Black Dahlia."

"No, Peeta." Finnick swiftly assured him, noting the hurt in Dahlia's eyes at the mention of what she used to be and the fear she used to inspire in people. "That's not who she is."

"It's-- It's not?" Peeta repeated, glancing back and forth at the woman he thought he recognised in confusion.

Smiling softly at the seated boy, Dahlia carefully sank to her knees in front of him and introduced herself, "My name is Dahlia Odair. It's nice to meet you, Peeta Mellark."

The boy didn't seem to fully register that the name she had said was his own, despite his manic mutterings to remind himself of who he was. But he noticed that the first name was one he hadn't heard before. Dahlia... Odair? He vaguely remembered another person with that last name. Brows scrunched harshly as he fought to recall his memories, he timidly mumbled, "There was a wedding... in District Thirteen."

Dahlia beamed at the recollection of her marriage and explained, "That was my wedding. To Finnick."

From where he hovered behind her, a grin of adoration spread on Finnick's lips at the pride Dahlia displayed for their union. It was also a beautiful sight to see her being so gentle and understanding with Peeta, almost like a mother would comfort her child. It was unusual to see her let her guard down in front of a group of strangers, especially after everything she had been through. But it seemed her experiences only served to make her more empathetic. After all, no one understood what Peeta was enduring better than her.

"I made the cake. Decorated it, too." Peeta muttered in realisation, his features brightening up just at the memory of icing the cake. It was almost therapeutic for him, getting back to his roots and what he knew was real.

"Thank you for doing that." Dahlia murmured her appreciation, watching a look of surprise spread on Peeta's face at the gratitude and respect she was showing him. He had grown used to people treating him like a dangerous mutt or a ticking bomb ready to explode. But Dahlia and Finnick treated him like he was an ordinary man. Like he was just a normal human being. "It was beautiful."

A small smile tugged at the edge of Peeta's lips in response to the compliment, his eyes darting between the two people who had shown him kindness. But just as his body started to relax in their company, Katniss strolled past the group and his shoulders tensed once more. Dahlia could see the resentful thoughts swirling in his mind about the girl, battling hard with what he thought he knew and what he had been told was true. She knew the struggle he was going through because she went through the exact same thing. And controlling the urges that the Capitol had programmed into them was a difficult fight to win alone. Peeta couldn't do this without Katniss, just like Dahlia couldn't have done it without Finnick. No matter how much they tried to deny it, those two needed each other. They just couldn't see it yet.