𝑭𝒍𝒐𝒘𝒆𝒓𝒔 𝑰𝒏 𝑻𝒉𝒆 𝑺𝒏𝒂𝒌𝒆 𝑷𝒊𝒕

"I'm not happy about this

"I'm not happy about this." Finnick muttered under his breath for the fifteenth time that day.

"So you've said." Dahlia quipped back with a soft yet teasing grin on her face. The plan had been debated over and over for many hours with multiple arguments being made and many disagreements brought to light. In the end, the decision was final. Katniss, Gale and Dahlia would venture out into the crowds of refugees while the rest stayed behind. Some took the news better than others.

"And I'll keep saying it until something changes." Finnick retorted as Dahlia brushed past him to collect her sole remaining sword from the shelf. Disgruntled at Dahlia's dismissive attitude, Finnick repeated his words even louder than before, "I'm not happy about this!"

"I know, Finn. I know." Dahlia murmured soothingly, reaching out to gently cup Finnick's cheek and rub her thumb over his smooth skin. "I know you'd prefer if we stayed together. I'd prefer it too. But Katniss wants me there with her and you here with Peeta. And we promised ourselves that we would look after them."

Finnick sighed in defeat, knowing there wasn't much he could say to persuade Dahlia or Katniss to change their minds. Those girls were stubborn enough when they were apart but together, they were an unstoppable force. Grumbling his displeasure, Finnick grunted, "I hate when you're right."

"Happy wife happy life, right?" Dahlia playfully reminded him, succeeding in prompting a small smile to appear on his face. Reassured that he wasn't angry or disappointed with her, Dahlia surged forward to wrap her arms around Finnick's body. He didn't hesitate to return the embrace with just as much vigour, threading his fingers through her hair as she rested her head against his chest. Dahlia could hear his heart beating rapidly, the fear of being apart sending waves of anxiety through his body. She hated doing this to him, but Katniss needed her and Peeta needed him. Once the war was won and Snow was dead, they'd have the rest of lives to spend with each other. But the fight wasn't over yet. "They're just kids, Finn. Kids with an entire nation on their shoulders."

Placing a comforting kiss on Dahlia's hairline as he rocked them side to side, Finnick mournfully mumbled his reply, "So were we."

•——————•°•✿•°•——————•

The remaining members of the Star Squad had gathered in the lobby of Tigris' shop while the woman herself fussed about with their disguises. There wasn't much to work with in the luxury boutique, but Tigris had managed to rustle up a few cloaks in muted Capitol colours. They would've been incredibly conspicuous anywhere else, but in the Capitol, to blend in, you needed to stand out.

Finnick accepted the dark blue cloak from Tigris with a nod of gratitude before sweeping the heavy material over Dahlia's shoulders. With slow shaking hands, he made his way up the seam of the coat and fastened the buttons as he went. He took his time, as though trying to prolong the inevitable and keep her with him for as long as possible. Though he soon ran out of clasps to secure and found his fingers trailing up to the attached hood, tugging it up gently to cover her head. His fingertips caressed her hair longingly, like he was savouring every moment and taking in every detail of her features.