𝑩𝒂𝒄𝒌 𝑻𝒐 𝑩𝒍𝒂𝒄𝒌

"Hawthorne, Everdeen, come meet your new unit

"Hawthorne, Everdeen, come meet your new unit." A female soldier called out to Katniss and Gale who were huddled in a tent conversing in hushed voices. They quickly abandoned their discussion as they hopped up to approach the group beginning to gather outside. The woman who had beckoned them over eyed each of them with an unreadable expression before introducing herself, "I'm Lieutenant Jackson, and I want to introduce you to your squad." Leaving no room for argument, Jackson immediately turned to the four silent figures behind her consisting of two slightly older men and two near-identical blonde women. "This is Second Lieutenant Mitchell, best sharpshooter in Panem. These are the Leeg sisters, First Combat Division. And this is Corporal Homes."

Katniss greeted each of them with a respectful nod, a little bit wary about being assigned a squad of complete strangers. It felt as though she and Gale were outnumbered by the District Thirteen soldiers, all of them more than likely loyalists to Coin. The President had ensured Katniss would remain in line from now on by surrounding her with a team of her best highly-skilled babysitters. She yearned for a familiar face among the crowd, someone she trusted to have her back if things went wrong. And, as luck would have it, her prayers were answered.

"Finnick?" She remarked in surprise, her face brightening up at the presence of the golden boy. Stepping around the rest of her squad, she eagerly advanced towards the man as he twirled a trident behind his back. "Are you with us?"

"Of course." Finnick replied, beaming at the younger girl as she reached up to hug him. He returned the friendly embrace and casually revealed, "Dahlia wouldn't have it any other way."

The Mockingjay pulled back in shock, glancing around in search of the mentioned girl as she spluttered, "Dahlia?"

"You didn't honestly think we would let you do this without us, did you?" The familiar taunting voice questioned in mock offence, making Katniss whip around to find the smirking woman leaning against a large case of weapons. "Katniss, you insult me."

The sight of Dahlia kitted out in full combat gear openly swinging one of her blades around experimentally once would've sent Katniss into a full-blown panic. But now it filled the Mockingjay with a great sense of relief and security. It even caused an uncharacteristic smile to replace her usual glower as she rushed to engulf the new addition in a much needed hug.

Dahlia had returned to her roots, kitted out in the very colour that had made her famous. When she went to Beetee asking him to craft a weapon for her, the genius man revealed two twin swords forged from the darkest steel that he had been keeping in preparation for her visit. Now, she truly had become the Black Dahlia she'd always hoped to be. A freedom fighter, not a mindless assassin. Now, she was dressed to kill and liberate.

"How--" Katniss asked in confusion, shaking her head as if trying to convince herself that it was all a dream. It certainly seemed too good to be true. "How are you here?"

"Well, I wanted to take a leaf out of your book and sneak aboard a hovercraft to get here." Dahlia replied teasingly, breaking away from the hug as Katniss stiffened in embarrassment. "But Finn insisted we got permission first."