𝑻𝒊𝒄𝒌 𝑻𝒐𝒄𝒌

The four tributes make the decision to stay on the beach, which is relatively safer than venturing back into the hellish unpredictability of the jungle

The four tributes make the decision to stay on the beach, which is relatively safer than venturing back into the hellish unpredictability of the jungle. Finnick caught fish for them to eat raw and a comfortable silence settled among them as they all devoured their meal. Meanwhile, Peeta used a small blade to split open an oyster, a boyish grin spreading along his lips as he finds a pearl inside.

"Look. For you." He announces, presenting the smooth pearl to a surprised Katniss. She accepts the thoughtful gift, cupping it in her hand to admire it.

"Thank you." She replies with a genuine smile, making Peeta grin bashfully and dip his head to hide the colour in his flushed cheeks.

Dahlia rolls her eyes at the interaction but the soft smile resting on her face gives her away. "Alright, lovebirds. Keep all that mushy stuff to yourself." She reprimands them playfully, nudging her shoulder into Peeta's with a smirk as he blushes even more.

Finnick chuckles under his breath and teasingly asks, "Do you not want pearls, Lia?" Dahlia turns to him with a feigned look of annoyance and a shake of her head. Peeta and Katniss can't help but laugh at the light-hearted nature between the two, seeing the best in Dahlia being brought out by Finnick. Satisfied by the reactions, Finnick leans his chin on Dahlia's shoulder and murmurs into her ear, "I'll give you anything you ask for once we're out of here, little flower. As many pearls as you can carry."

With a loving glint in her eyes, Dahlia stares into Finnick's eyes, doing everything she can to restrain herself from closing the space between them. His lips are so close yet so unattainable, a forbidden fruit that she longs to taste. The pair are only broken from their trance by the screams of a woman.

"That's new." Peeta mutters as the group quickly scurries to their feet, weapons at the ready just in case. But no enemy comes to threaten them. Instead they watch as the trees on the other side of the Cornucopia sway and wobble with the force of the waves crashing down on them. The tidal flood bursts from the treeline with the echo of a cannon boom following its devastation. It rumbles towards the Cornucopia and smacks into its side with an upward surge before rippling away into the segments.

The much more subdued wave rushes towards the tributes, flowing calmly over their feet and then retreating away. Not even a moment later, a hovercraft has descended to collect another body. Another casualty of Snow's paranoia.

"Someone's here." Katniss alerts them hastily, ripping an arrow from her quiver as the rest of the group tenses in anticipation. Finnick places his arm in front of Dahlia to push her out of view of the newcomers as they cower behind the shrubbery. Then, peeking through the plants, Dahlia and Finnick spot two familiar figures they'd recognise anywhere.

"Johanna?" Finnick mumbles in recognition, despite the girl being drenched in blood. He is reluctant to move from the spot until he's sure of the tribute's identity, but Dahlia doesn't share his hesitance.

"Papa." She gasps out happily, slipping from Finnick's grasp and sprinting off down the sand. Finnick is quick to follow after her, leaving Katniss and Peeta behind to stare. "Papa! Johanna!"